Alaskan Railway and Glacier

Joseph Bautsch

This is a shot that was taken back in 2009 with my D80. I was standing on the train coupling platform leaning out of a half open door. I had the camera set on shutter priority to eliminate camera shake. EXIF Data: D80, 70-300mm Nikkor, ISO 200, Focal Length 78mm, f/8, shutter speed 1/500, Auto WB, Shutter Priority, Adobe RGB, Aperture 3 PP.

dsc_0943.jpg

ohkphoto

Snow White
Hi, Joseph! I love this shot . . . the train is fabulous in it . . . would be great for an Alaska travel magazine/brochure. My only suggestion is a pp one: I think you try adding a little more punch/drama by upping the contrast and/or vibrance. I'd like to see greener greens and bluer sky as well as a little brighter yellow on the train. (I'm hoping it's not my monitor) Compositionally, the shot is perfect!

Best Regards

Carolina Photo Guy

Dude!!! This shot is IFC! (infreakincredible)
The gap between ranges flowing from right to center
is the perfect lead in to the engine. (That looks like an Alco 10-10)
Going from snow to rockface to vegetation to technology.
I love the balance.
And I think that Helene is right. It could use a little more punch. Not Foreman punch, more like Ali punch.

Pete

Joseph Bautsch

Helene, Pete, I'll see what I can do to give it more punch. I've already punched on it pretty hard. I had it punched up higher than what you see but I thought it looked harsh and overdone. Thanks for the comments, it's appreciated. I figured Pete, the train guy, would like this one.

ohkphoto

Snow White
Can't help myself, Pete, I'm trapped in a classroom of 25 fifth-graders. . . guess it brings out the "orneriness" in me.
No reflection on your photo, Joseph. It's beautiful . . . I'd like to be there RIGHT NOW :)

Joseph Bautsch

OK, It's punched up. I tried to keep it from being over cooked. 25 fifth-graders... really... I don't think I could survive that more than a day.... you have the patients of a saint.

dsc_0943_1.jpg