Holding your Shooting Gear • Some Tips

Kodiak

Hello everyone,

The post with Olivier's macro-handheld tests (spiders in the wood shack) got me quite a few
em@ils making sure that these were really HANDHELD! How can he do that?

http://nikonites.com/macro/15133-handheld-macrophotography-%95-olivier.html#axzz2ZU4dno7j

He is young, calm and patient… for one thing, and he learned to hold his gear a right way
since an apple never falls far from the tree… Olivier is my model here.

Let me explain:

For short lenses (here a 16mm fisheye):

View attachment 44314

Rest the camera at the top of your left wrist as your right hand holds it firmly.

View attachment 44315

Stretch your fingers to reach the focusing ring as the body still rests on your wrist.

View attachment 44316

Seen from the other side, it should look like well grouped hands around the camera and lens.​

For medium size lenses (here a 24/70 zoom)
View attachment 44312

Same starting position but spreading the fingers forward and up.
You should reach easily the focusing ring…

View attachment 44319

…and the zooming ring without any further movement than the extension of the fingers.

View attachment 44313

For greater stability, bring your elbow to your ribcage.
Your body position should look like this.​

For longer lenses (here a 300mm, I would not think of doing this with my 600mm):

View attachment 44317

Rest the lens foot at the top of your left wrist as your right hand holds the camera grip firmly.

View attachment 44318

Stretch your fingers to reach the zooming and/or focusing ring as the lens still rests on your wrist.
Here, remembering to press your elbow to your ribcage is a good idea!

View attachment 44320
Should there be a post or tree, the left arm may cross under the lens to find support.​

Have a good time!,

Last edited:

ohkphoto

Snow White
. . . and, I'm sure you all know this, you can always lie down on the ground and use your elbows to make a "human tripod."