Tele convertor Big question

jackass

Hi, Am a partial newby sort of 1/4 the way up the learning curve. I have a AF-S Nikkor 55-300 1:4,5-5,6. I live in Africa and have bountiful access to wildlife. I need advice. I don't have the funds to buy a 500 or 600 lens and intend to use a convertor I am aware of the quality restrictions but will live with them until a decent lens becomes affordable. My question is (and here I know zero) what convertor should I get??? any advice is appreciated.

Phillydog1958

I'm thinking that your lens doesn't have a Nikon teleconverter that's compatible with it. Perhaps, there is one available from another manufacturer. I've also heard of some people using tubes to increase their lens length. Maybe that would work for you.

Lscha

Hi Jack, The Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 (N-AF 1.4X) works like a charm on the 55-300 Nikkor. I use it all the time. Well worth the money.

crycocyon

Had you considered a Nikon mirror lens. I'm partial to this one....

Nikon 500mm 1 8 Reflex Nikkor C Super Telephoto Lens 647 | eBay

There are even cheaper ones on ebay if you don't mind a bit more wear. I mean, this is about the same cost (or a lot less) than good Nikon teleconverters and even with a teleconvertor that isn't so good you will loose so much more resolution by enlarging the image that you might as well just enlarge it in photoshop and you'll be able to see the animal more clearly that way.

Here's one for $108....

Nikon Nikkor Reflex 500mm F 8 Camera Lens Nippon Kogaku | eBay

Bukitimah

Yes, the kenko converter works and is the cheapest option till you buy the true zoom lens. However, you will have difficulties to focus under low lights.