Is this site now stripping EXIF data on attachments?

BackdoorArts

Given the hubbub about copyright information and "Orphan Images", is there anyway this site can stop stripping the EXIF data on attachments? I only link to original images, so I'm OK. But I swear we used to be able to see the EXIF data on others' photos and now I'm not seeing it on any attachment and haven't for a while.

BackdoorArts

I learned more about photography when the meta data was available. I miss that.

Absolutely, and even though it's time consuming at least you can ask about that. But in a world that now allows the use and sale of images that bear no copyright information I think it's of paramount importance that an photography site that allows the uploading of images refrains from stripping that information from the image.

AC016

If anyone used any of my images, i would............. be flattered, lol:) I don't think anyone would be able to use any of my images since they are so downsized anyhow. But yes, it is a bit concerning that EXIF data is/may be being stripped from images uploaded to this site. Makes you wonder what the intention is behind it. Maybe no more photo posting until we get an answer...

§am

I've just had a look at some gallery pictures - and all those seem to retain the EXIF data.
It must be something that happens when you upload to the post direct :(

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member
I've looked into this previously and unfortunately the forum software that resizes the images strips the exif. If a photo does not require resizing then it will not be stripped. When thumbnails are created then it will be stripped as well. Currently the only way to avoid this is to link to a photo that is hosted somewhere else or from the gallery.

FYI, I put in a request to the people that make the software to maintain EXIF, but I doubt they're going to make this possible since they're working heavily on the next version. (5)

STM

Pretty much all of the images I post here are from photobucket, and I believe that they lose their EXIF data there too. Since I only use AIS lenses and am admittedly very lazy about putting in lens focal length into the D700 most of the time, the EXIF data on most of my images is of little use anyway. About the only thing you will get out of mine is shutter speed anyway.