New photographer

JamesDean

Hello everyone, I'm new to photography and eager to learn, I recently purchased a d5200 and can't wait to get the hang of it(first dslr) :cool: well ill be seeing everyone around...

-grindin-

MrRamonG

Welcome! Good luck with your camera. Feel free to ask the Forum if you have any questions, there are some really talented and knowledgeable people here.

crycocyon

Welcome and congrats on the new camera. Not only did you pick a great hobby, you picked a great camera to start things off. Do you have a particular subject interest or just going to go out and try different things?

JamesDean

Thanks for the warm welcome, I've always liked photography but the main reason Im getting into it is to help my mom get pictures for her magazine. Ill be doing alot of interior shots of people's houses for her, then a lot of family, outdoor, and macro shots for fun.

crycocyon

That's how a lot of pros start out, by helping others to get photos and end up developing their own line of work. So I'm assuming it came with the 18-55mm DX lens which is a good all around lens although for interiors there is always the matter of there being enough light plus you want to have sufficient depth of field and that lens isn't really too fast (ie: not so wide aperture). I would strongly consider getting an inexpensive but sturdy tripod which will suit you well for both the interior work (can use longer shutter speeds with smaller apertures without having to bump up the ISO like crazy), and for the macro work which for careful focusing benefits from tripod use.

JamesDean

That's how a lot of pros start out, by helping others to get photos and end up developing their own line of work. So I'm assuming it came with the 18-55mm DX lens which is a good all around lens although for interiors there is always the matter of there being enough light plus you want to have sufficient depth of field and that lens isn't really too fast (ie: not so wide aperture). I would strongly consider getting an inexpensive but sturdy tripod which will suit you well for both the interior work (can use longer shutter speeds with smaller apertures without having to bump up the ISO like crazy), and for the macro work which for careful focusing benefits from tripod use.
Yea I have the 18-55 and the 55-300, but im going to be purchasing a wide angle for the interior shots.. I was thinking about the
Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 AT-X116 Pro DX II Digital Zoom Lens

or
Nikon 10-24mm f/3.5-4.5G ED AF-S DX Nikkor Wide-Angle Zoom Lens

any thoughts on them or other suggestions? oh yea, I have a tripod also :cool:

fotojack

Welcome to Nikonites and congrats on your new D5200. And yes, the Tokina 11-16 would be an ideal lens for interior shots. Get yourself a good speedlight (flash), too....essential for interior shots. I'd recommend the Nikon SB-700.

Last edited:

JamesDean

Welcome to Nikonites and congrats on your new D5200. And yes, the Tokina 11-16 would be an ideal lens for interior shots. Get yourself a good speedlight (flash), too....essential for interior shots. I'd recommend the Nikon SB-700.
Thanks, I'm going to order the tokina & was already looking at speedlights, but was looking at the sb-400,is the sb-700 that much more of a light? ( don't know much abt lighting yet:p)"

crycocyon

Normally I would recommend the Nikon zoom but I read the Tokina reviews against the Nikon and who can argue with real world results? Although the zoom range is more limited on the Tokina.

Then again, I personally would be inclined toward an FX prime wide-angle lens that you could use on your DX so that you don't have to upgrade later on. But the options for that are limited to the older AF D lenses. Plus the Tokina is reasonably fast for indoor lighting at f/2.8 so can't argue with that either.

It is always easier to move backward or forward to get the right framing with a wide-angle as you don't have to move that far, as opposed to a tele prime where you would have to move quite far to get the right framing without a zoom.

Thanks, I'm going to order the tokina & was already looking at speedlights, but was looking at the sb-400,is the sb-700 that much more of a light? ( don't know much abt lighting yet:p)"

The SB-700 is a much better flash. it is stronger but that is not the only reason you had rather have it over the SB-400 Check out the bounce abilities of both and also check the Commander mode capabilities of both

JamesDean

I ordered The Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8 AT-X116 Pro DX II Digital Zoom Lens and the nikon sb-700 with a softbox, been practicing shooting different pictures in manual mode(been learning abt iso, shutter speed, and aperture), Heres a few shots i got of my dog
DSC_0032.jpg
DSC_0036.jpg
DSC_0051.jpg
DSC_0065.jpg

I still have alot to learn, as everything is new to me, But glad i finally got my hands on a dslr and can start practicing and learning!:triumphant: