Do you use an aftermarket screen protector?

Camera Fun

Does anyone use an aftermarket screen protector in place of the Nikon plastic model? Vello makes one that covers/protects both the screen and the eye piece? Thanks.

BackdoorArts

What's wrong with the one on the camera is that it's not completely clear and designed by the manufacturer more for protection than looking through (it even says so in the manual). I use Vello protectors on all my cameras. Optical glass protection that's perfectly clear. Much easier to see through in certain lighting conditions outside.

BTW, stay away from the eye piece mounted one. It comes of rather easily, something I found out rather amazingly when I was walking back out of a field and noticed it just before I stepped on it (it came off on the way in). I use the ones with an adhesive edge that still around the perimeter of the original glass. They make one for some models (D800) that you can clip on like the original. I would prefer that, but these have been great.

Last edited:

crashton

To answer what is wrong with the supplied cover. For me, I've had trouble with the screen protectors on my cameras. On my D70, D2, D200 & D300 I was seemingly always fogging up the screen with my breath. Without those plastic covers on I had no problem. I did feel the need for the screen protection they afforded. Starting with my D200 I started using GGS screen protectors. They are inexpensive & easily removed if the need arises.

Fred Kingston

What's wrong with the one on the camera is that it's not completely clear and designed by the manufacturer more for protection than looking through (it even says so in the manual). I use Vello protectors on all my cameras. Optical glass protection that's perfectly clear. Much easier to see through in certain lighting conditions outside.

BTW, stay away from the eye piece mounted one. It comes of rather easily, something I found out rather amazingly when I was walking back out of a field and noticed it just before I stepped on it (it came off on the way in). I use the ones with an adhesive edge that still around the perimeter of the original glass. They make one for some models (D800) that you can clip on like the original. I would prefer that, but these have been great.

I look through the view finder when outside. I never use the screen or care what it displays... :D

crashton

I look through the view finder when outside. I never use the screen or care what it displays... :D

I can tell you're an old film shooter, same for me. Sometimes it seems as those around me are spending more time looking at the screens that looking through their lenses.

Opinions are like elbows we all have a couple. :D

BackdoorArts

I'm far from disappointed. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I'm not disappointed if it's not mine. I was refering to not taking advantage of a focus check when you have the ability. I haven't been doing this as long as some but I'm experienced enough to know that, after realizing there are times I wish I'd checked rather than assumed everything was OK, if I see pros doing it all the time why shouldn't I?

Dave_W

The Dude
I'm not sure how you would know whether or not you have a perfectly exposed image unless you look at your histograms. And it's too late if you're looking at it for the first time when you load them up on the computer. If you're not checking your histogram for proper exposure you really should try. I can't even count the times I've had to increase or decrease the exposure over what the camera wanted me to use. If you always follow the light meters suggested exposures I guarantee you'll have over and under exposed images. Checking histograms should be second nature, IMO.

As for the OP's question, yes, I've used them and I like them. The brand I've used are the GGS screen protectors. The reason I like them is 1) it won't fill with dust and lint like the plastic window tend to and 2) they reduce the amount of glare considerably. In addition, it comes with a protector for your small LCD screen, too. Something that Nikon does not provide.

Dave_W

The Dude
Not to be snarky Dave... but what did folks do before Histograms??? I'd check with Ansel Adams, but he's been dead for quite awhile now...

In the case of Ansel, he used every available technique when he was out making his images. He was extremely methodical to the point of visiting his sites multiple times so he would know exactly how to squeeze out every inch of light that he could. So I've got to believe he would use all the tools at his disposal to insure maximum use of light were he shooting with a digital camera.

The thing is that digital cameras only resemble film cameras on the outside and that's where similarity ends. Digital sensors respond to light very differently than does sliver infused paper. From exposure to color balance to the very way light is treated when it hits the sensor is completely different with digital than with film and the only chance you have at insuring you have a properly exposed image is the histogram. And I know the old idiom "old dog, new tricks" but you really should consider incorporating the histogram into your work flow. Once you do you'll find it to be an invaluable aspect to your photography.

Last edited:

piperbarb

Does anyone use an aftermarket screen protector in place of the Nikon plastic model? Vello makes one that covers/protects both the screen and the eye piece? Thanks.

I use the Zagg invisible shields on both my D3000 and D7000. I have used those on my phone and tablets for a while. I like them. I have not had the problem that some people have had where they say it ends up with the texture of an orange rind. The trick to putting them on successfully is to make sure that your hands are clean, the glass you are putting it on is clean, and spraying the surface of the shield and your fingers generously. I think the problem some people have is that they do not use enough of the spray.

piperbarb

Like you, my experience goes back to the late 60s early 70s. I normally look through the viewfinder. I don't even consider looking at the screen. The only time I use the screen is when I'm shooting video, which is few and far between. Being a film user until 3 years ago, I still rely on what I see in the viewfinder.

piperbarb

Not to be snarky Dave... but what did folks do before Histograms??? I'd check with Ansel Adams, but he's been dead for quite awhile now...

We took a lot of photos using a variety of film, kept notes and learned how our cameras and lenses behaved with different films and situations. After a while, it becomes second nature. I would select the film that worked best for the situation. I always had at least 2 or 3 camera bodies with different film in each (B&W, color negative & color transparency). Even with digital, I still photograph that way. I have played with my camera enough to know how it behaves in different conditions. I'm doing that with my new D7000 right now.

To be truthful, I do not think I have really looked at the histogram much at all. I realize that sounds sacrilegious to some. :)

Last edited:

stmv

I primary use the viewfinder, but sure,, I chimp,, why not use the tool as intended. hate to return and find out I made basic mistake,, that could have been fixed and result in success. I view historygrams as key.

crashton

I'm guess some of us old film guys have shooting & concentrating on the viewfinder come to us as second nature. Old habits die hard. I'm learning digital as I go along. Step by step I'm getting there.

Horoscope Fish

Yes I use a screen protector on the LCD because I had some laying around and it seemed like a good idea at the time.

As for histograms I don't live and die by them, but they're certainly a handy tool to have. I mean... You can spot check your freakin' exposure right then and there! On scene! If you don't want to take advantage of that, fine, but I can't see why you wouldn't want that particular option. And as for what we did before them, well... I guess we spent hours in the dark room doing things like burning and dodging instead of being out in the field taking more shots.