d7000 Custom settings

dorobo18jp

Can anyone suggest custom settings for my new d7000 for action photography ie. snowboarding (jumping) and either for lowlight model shots and daytime animal shots. if you have the settings that i can download and save that would be great

pedroj

I really don't think you could nominate "custom" settings for out doors because of the different lighting conditions created by cloud, time off day....

fotojack

Can anyone suggest custom settings for my new d7000 for action photography ie. snowboarding (jumping) and either for lowlight model shots and daytime animal shots. if you have the settings that i can download and save that would be great

If you send me your email address (PM me here), I can send you a pdf file with custom settings for your D7000. There's no way for me to send pdf files through here.

well you will want a high shutter speed to stop the motion say 1/250 min then sufficient depth of field to ensue its in focus say F5.6 and then let the iso float to adjust the exposue ...100-6400 use AF-S so you can keep the snowboarder in focus and continuous shutter Ch dont be tempted to use RAW or you will run out of buffer Large normal or large basic will work fine.
copy your settings into U1 when you have set it up in Aperture mode

dorobo18jp

can you walk me threw how to change the settings on the camera. still very new to this camera and my owners manual is in japanese and i cant read it lol

dorobo18jp

ok did that also is ther ea place where i could just download the settings and put them on my card adn then save then to u1 for snowboarding and then find settings for either nature or night photography and save to u2?it may seem lazy but at the moment busy looking for a new job

stmv

actually, more like it is just easier to use manual mode, and control the camera the old fashion way, versus having to dive into menus, keep track of all settings, remember to switch back,, etc.. etc... I shoot too varied photos,, to settle into modes,

So.. just EASIER to shoot in manual.. mm light meter, speed of shutter,, aperature opening, check check check,,, snap....

thinks I adjust will be WB,,, and the rest of the adjustements are well,, nicely placed Hot keys on the D800, or D7000. laughs, and even WB, a button,,, the beauty of the higher end cameras is dedicated function buttons,, for quick changes.. still easier for me at least, then diving into user modes.

Well eye level you must take one shot every five minutes playing with the controls ...I paid for a computer to do it for me and it did it 30,000 times in the last 12 months with no problem so I leave you to it ....

Eye-level

Banned
Actually I am pretty darn fast with the manual controls nowadays...

I don't make a living at it (I'd starve with my level of talent) I am in it for the challenge of just doing it.

BTW I know how to let the camera do it for me too. :)

Not everyone here on the board is a bonafide pro, in fact nearly no one is, so one must take that into account...I'm just saying.

stmv

no,, not like a 1960,, the liveview,, great feature, the historygram,, super, highlights lit nice feature, I have created many many technical features, and love technology, many of the features you are using on your computer right now, are my inventions, so,, I live technology,, but also love the KISS principle.

the task is making photos, quickly, without effort, and that is what the modern cameras do,, along with feedback to know in the field if the efforts are working. Since you are shooting in raw, adjustments can be made later on the computer.

You are right in that I am so happy that Nikon has kept the look and feel of the classic Film SLR. Pick up an F100, and then pick up a D800,, and yes, the transition is almost Perfect.

Now,, if you are a wedding photographer,, with known bias and settings,, doing the same task over and over,, sure User functions are very clever. but,,, overall, for me persoanally, not that useful.

Do, I have to tune WB during shots, absolutely, but that is fairly rare. Most of the time the camera is within correctable margins (again,, easier in Software, when one has more time).

aced19

ok did that also is there a place where i could just download the settings and put them on my card and then save then to u1 for snowboarding and then find settings for either nature or night photography and save to u2?it may seem lazy but at the moment busy looking for a new job

Unless you're in a controlled environment there is no one setting that you can just use for snowboarding, night or nature. Because the conditions will always be different every time you want to take a pic. Which means you're going to have to make minor tweaks to adjust to the different conditions.
Use A or S then let the camera do the work for you. But even in those modes you still will have to make minor tweaks to get the picture you want.

What I like about the U1 and U2 is when I go to my local gyms and shoot basketball. I have one gym at U1 and the other set to U2. Both gyms are controlled environments and the settings never change.

The best advice I can give someone wanting to learn how to use their camera.
First read the manual.
Understand the cameras light meter.
Then Google Aperture, Shutter Speed, and ISO. Read and understand what they mean.
Then put the camera in M mode and start taking pictures.
By learning the cameras light meter, Aperture, Shutter Speed, and ISO you will end up taking better pictures.

so buy an expensive camera and work it like a 1960s Nikon ..yeh that makes sense ...

Not picking on you pistnbroke... So why buy an expensive camera and use it like a point and shoot...that makes no sense...

I understand to each their own.
But if people don't learn to shoot in Manual mode, they just bought an expensive point and shoot.

Last edited by a moderator:

Eye-level

Banned
I couldn't have said it better myself...except for maybe...the thing I love about my F2 is that it is simply rate the film, set the shutter speed, set the aperture, focus, and snap...I can do all of that in about three seconds...no batteries...just like they did in the old days.

(I do basically the same thing with my D5000 except for it has a lot more crap to play with)

Last edited:

§am

I don't think you can have pre-defined settings for every situation you want to photograph.
What works in one snow boarding session won't work in another, so there will always be some level of adjustment needing to be made, and what happens when you want to capture some shots indoors after a session outside... adjustments is what happens :)
Modern day cameras are great for learning, but they're so built with the historical ability, that manual shooting is not denied to those that want it :)

[They should demand excellent command of the English language in professional body memberships (well certainly in the UK ones) :p
I love credentials though.. especially when you have more after your name then in your name :p]

dorobo18jp

ok got the manual but i am going boarding in the morning is there a walk threw print out to show me how to change all the settings for snowboard jumping picks that i can read and do then save to my u1 button? i cant read the entire manual to figure it out . or shoul di just use the sports pre set on cH?