D800e left focus issue

Corey @ Faymus Media

Camera arrived today however two things were unimpressive. I seem to have the left side autofocus issue, I took pictures of the right autofocus points and the left and the left work blurry.

So I then used AF micro adjustment I made the right autofocus points Chris then when I use those same settings the left autofocus points were really blurry.

So I then adjusted the left autofocus points with a micro adjustment and it was great however when I took a picture with those settings on the right side autofocus points they were blurry.

the sharpness is insane in the image quality. There is moire even when the sharpness is dialed all the way down.

Dave_W

The Dude
Re: Buying D800E tomorrow. Refurbished or New Grey Market Import?

The only way to insure you get a good copy is to send it to Nikon and have them fix it. Otherwise you'll just be rolling the dice with a new copy.

Corey @ Faymus Media

The only way to insure you get a good copy is to send it to Nikon and have them fix it. Otherwise you'll just be rolling the dice with a new copy.

Will this mess with my warranty or make the camera of less value? will they supply me with something to shoot with?

Dave_W

The Dude

Not sure what you mean by "mess with your warranty" because sending it to Nikon will be using the warranty. And I would contend having a working camera would increase the value as compared to a broken camera. And no, they will not loan you a camera, at least I've never heard of such a thing.

Corey @ Faymus Media

Not sure what you mean by "mess with your warranty" because sending it to Nikon will be using the warranty. And I would contend having a working camera would increase the value as compared to a broken camera. And no, they will not loan you a camera, at least I've never heard of such a thing.

Ok I understand. I just called them right now.

stmv

thought I posted a response on Abes of Maine,, but yes, they have been around for over 30 years,, bought a few lens from them over the years. no issues.

Corey @ Faymus Media

I am on the phone with Nikon right now, they tried to tell me 7-10 days on repair and they dont rent cameras, well that obvious. I told them they will cover my rental camera or I am returning the camera to crutchfield and buy a Canon.Lets see how fast they rectify their screw up. She said something about taking sample images for the Japan techs research. Obviously Nikon Japan hasnt even found a resolve for the issue.One thing I noticed is when I rented the D800 a few weeks ago, the firmware was newer than the D800E I just received. Does that mean I have an old model?

UPDATE: Nikon rep was rude to me, and they are acting like the issue of left side focus is unknown, and that I can send it back and wait 7-10 days. They have no phones in the repair shops either. WOW.I call crutchfield. They are sending me brand new D800E and I dont have to send mine back until I receive the new one. That is customer service! I will keep everyone posted.

EDIT2: Here is a screen grab, left side of the picture is the right side auto focus point, and the right frame is the left auto focus point. Sorry lightroom put them backwards.

Attachments

• AF Point compare.jpg
    AF Point compare.jpg
    317 KB · Views: 397
Last edited:

jdeg

^ broke something
Staff member

That's annoying - the D800 you rented was probably updated by the people you rented it from. It's possible that you got a D800E that is from the first round of production though - they don't sell as many of them.

Corey @ Faymus Media

That's annoying - the D800 you rented was probably updated by the people you rented it from. It's possible that you got a D800E that is from the first round of production though - they don't sell as many of them.

I told crutchfield to send the newest stock they had. Is there a certain serial number that I should look for, is there a known way to tell whats old and whats new? Also I dont think all the old stock was bad, there was a bunch that were ok from what I have read. Lets just hope I get lucky the second time around, otherwise crutchfield will be fedex shipping every day til I get a good one.

Dave_W

The Dude

That sucks! I had the AF issue but could only detect it under under specific conditions that had little to do with any real-world uses. When your new camera arrives, I suggest you test the AF using these conditions.

Corey @ Faymus Media

That sucks! I had the AF issue but could only detect it under under specific conditions that had little to do with any real-world uses. When your new camera arrives, I suggest you test the AF using these conditions.

Thanks Dave. The new one gets here tomorrow. I hope its a good one! Also the only lens I have access to is the Nikkor 24-70mm 2.8 AFS ED lens. Can that work?

Corey @ Faymus Media

New D800E arrived today, serial number is 1000 unites newer than the old one. The old D800E was 3008XXX and this one is 3009XXX so we will see.

Corey @ Faymus Media

Both cameras have left focus issue. It seems even the live view on the left side is out of whack.

Since I have 30 days to return the old camera, I am going to take the new one into nikon with a print out of the images I took, and until it is returned I have another.

Corey @ Faymus Media

So here is the test charts from the NEW D800E that came today.

Attachments

• Center Focus(new).jpg
    Center Focus(new).jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 314
  • Left Side Focus(new).jpg
    Left Side Focus(new).jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 414
  • Right Side Focus(new).jpg
    Right Side Focus(new).jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 249

Dave_W

The Dude

Why does the "live view" on the left focus points seem to be out of whack also?

It really shouldn't. The Live View, as you probably already know, is a contrast detection focus and works completely differently than does the phase detection focus. Don't take this personal but the scientist in me is wondering whether or not you're introducing a factor that is giving you this result. Are you 100% confident in your procedures? How many times have you repeated these tests? Do both cameras show this Live View focus issue?