Your Thoughts On Upgrade

Patrick M

The D7100 is now almost two years old and yet it is still the best amateur camera in Nikon's line up. That speaks for itself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, I have decided to upgrade from my D5100 to a body that is a little more "prosumer". I am looking for better ergonomics (I have large hands), easier access to features and less menu diving.

I am caught between 2 deals. I can buy a new-in-box D7000 with 18-55mm and 55-200mm kit lenses for $800 or get a D7100 body for $900 and build my stable of lenses from scratch.

On one hand I have a body with documented AF issues and 2 lenses that are not all that valuable while on the other I have a body that has a poor buffer and that does not play nicely with several third party lenses.

Your thoughts?

I would go with the D7100. It sounds like money's tight if you're quibbling over a hundred bucks. You could pick up a used D7100 on Craig's list. I just saw one today go for $565; 18k clicks, immaculate.

B&H wants $997 at the moment, by the way... Comes with some free stuff.

Canadia-Nikon

Thanks for all of the advice. I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

I hope that I did not give anyone the wrong impression. I am certainly not quibbling over $100...just seeking the best bang for my buck.

I have nothing against refurbs but I live in Canada so exchange on $700 = $829+shipping.

I can retain the 18-55mm kit lens from the D5100 but may have an easier time selling if I throw it in. It all depends on the buyer I guess.

Either way, it looks like I'll be joining the D7100 club in the not too distant future.

I might have to catch what SteveL is coming down with to keep work from getting in the way of real priorities. :p

Good choice. Sell the 18-55 with the D5100 and get a better lens for "The Beast"

I retired since work was getting in the way of shooting.

I hope that I did not give anyone the wrong impression. I am certainly not quibbling over $100...just seeking the best bang for my buck.

I have nothing against refurbs but I live in Canada so exchange on $700 = $829+shipping.

I can retain the 18-55mm kit lens from the D5100 but may have an easier time selling if I throw it in. It all depends on the buyer I guess.

Either way, it looks like I'll be joining the D7100 club in the not too distant future.

I might have to catch what SteveL is coming down with to keep work from getting in the way of real priorities. :p

Fortkentdad

Upgraded from my D5100 last May - and really looked hard at the D7100, considered the 7000 too as it was a lot less expensive, but in the end took the FF plunge and went for a D610. While I do not regret that move at all, it does come with the caveat that the extra cost for the FF camera is just the beginning - then you will want to get some FF lenses which usually cost more than DX lenses - and if you go for new not vintage lenses it will really cost you.

SteveL54

LOL! Now, the main thing that keeps me from going out shooting is this damn cold snap. It's been -1 to 15 deg all week. I did manage a few shots yesterday with the new 7100. This camera is just amazing. Still learning how to properly operate it though. Lots of buttons, dials, wheels.....Learning this is a fun experience.