Your Own "Best DX Lens List"

SHAkers718

The ONLY Nikon DX zoom lenses ever to receive an above-average overall score in those tests, which are scarce since test averages are calculated across zooms and primes, are the new AF-P 70-300 DX (64 points) ...

I also own this lens and I really like it. I thought it might have something to do with how compact and lightweight it is making it easier to handle and hold steady (I rarely break out the tripod). I thought the IQ was better than the 55-300 kit lens and was happy with the purchase. It certainly doesn't break the bank.

Last edited:

spb_stan

I only have a 17-55 2.8, 18-105, and 10-20 Sigma as DX lenses and as a walking around lens, even for portraits the cheap plastic 18-105 has been a pretty good lens and some of my most requested prints used that lens. The Sigma 10-20 is a lot of lens for the money if someone is into Dx ultrawide angle..tough, sharp and manageable distortion.I even use it for people shots for special effects like 10mm shot of my GF on the roof of the art center next door where I was no more than 24 inches from her but got head to toe with great color and contrast.
Victoria-1-32.jpg
Here is an example of an ambient light portrait of a guy flirting with his waitress 10 ft away in a Warsaw Poland cafe using the lowly 18-105 at 105mm at hi-ISO, D90
warsaw-561.jpg
I used to have a 35 1.8G and thought it was a very competent lens and better on Dx than the 50 1.8G..also an excellent lens but too long on Dx to be a walking around lens with a field of view of 75mm.
My 17-55 2.8 sits on the shelf until I can find someone to buy it. Ater getting the 24-70 2.8G, which has much better IQ, color, and contrast.
A favorite lens on Dx, however, is the 70-200 2.8 That is the second lens most people get after deciding to invest in quality glass. It is popular for a good reason.
For people shots, it is hard to beat the 85 1.8G for IQ and value around $550.
None of the superzooms are that good for IQ but they are very handy for low weight travel shooting.
I have a pretty good assortment of Fx lenses now, with 1.4 and 1.8 primes and 2.8 zooms but those take a real investment and are not needed until someone decides which specialty they pursue and seek top glass.
The main reason I liked the 18-105 so much was that it was small and light, so a camera and 1 lens could go with me all the time and most shots you really want, are by stumbling onto opportunities. The lens and camera you have with you are the best ones.

mikeee

Right now it's my signa 17-50mm, although I have it on a D7100, so there are some quirks..
Tomorrow I take delivery on a sigma 50-100mm art lens, so there might be a change. :)
35mm nikon prime has always been good too.

hotflyer

My everyday, goto DX lens package is my Tokina 12-24mm F4 Pro and first generation (made in Japan) Nikon 18-200mm F3.5-5.6. Plus I will pack my Sigma 150-600mm C lens if I think I might need it. Then, as you can see from my lens list, I have several specialty lenses (mostly FX) for when I need the extreme high IQ, macro, or low F stop. About the only thing a feel I am missing from my kit is a little more wide angle, say a 10-20mm or 9-20mm with an IQ to match my Tokina 12-24mm.

Was the 18-200mm made in Japan Or Thailand. I am buying one with the red "VR" that was made in Thailand.

Bikerbrent

Was the 18-200mm made in Japan Or Thailand. I am buying one with the red "VR" that was made in Thailand.

My 80-200mm lens is a first generation one made in Japan. Another generation of this lens was made in China and did not have a red "VR", it has a gold "VR", and has worst IQ than the Japan made lens. From your posting, it looks like there is also another generation lens made in Thailand. I know nothing about this lens or how good the IQ is.

Woodyg3

Contributor
My 80-200mm lens is a first generation one made in Japan. Another generation of this lens was made in China and did not have a red "VR", it has a gold "VR", and has worst IQ than the Japan made lens. From your posting, it looks like there is also another generation lens made in Thailand. I know nothing about this lens or how good the IQ is.

I believe he was asking about your 18-200, not the 80-200. :)