Your favorite, most-used D7100 feature(s)?

gustafson

I am not kidding at all, I almost never use any of my cameras in automatic. My favorite camera of all, my Hasselblad, does not even have a meter and the CDS meter in my 45 year old FTn has been dead for years. The CDS meter in my F2 is starting to get a little inconsistent as well, but it is 40 years old after all. That is what an incident and 1º spot meter are for and I use both all of the time. In high contrast scenes, an incident reading will be better 99% of the time than some over-complicated Matrix metering. When I have time to really take to meter, I still use the 1º spot meter and Ansel Adams' Zone System and set the manual exposure accordingly. Adams' Zone System can be used just as well with a digital camera, if you are familiar with the dynamic range of the sensor.

Gotcha, apologies for misinterpreting your post as being in jest. If you don't mind me asking, are there any benefits of the D7100 over a lesser-spec'ed 24MP body such as the D5x00 or D3x00 when used in full manual mode?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

STM

Gotcha, apologies for misinterpreting your post as being in jest. If you don't mind me asking, are there any benefits of the D7100 over a lesser-spec'ed 24MP body such as the D5x00 or D3x00 when used in full manual mode?

To be brutally honest, I am probably the LAST person you want to ask about this subject. I honestly don't know jack***t about Nikon's DX (or honestly FX) DSLR's. I will be totally honest in saying that I don't know what 90% of the buttons or menu items on Nikon's DSLR's do and to be honest I could care less because they don't apply to me. All of my lenses are MF AI/AIS, all of my strobes (non-studio) are Sunpak 555's that are used in manual most of the time for the kind of work I use them for and I use my DSLR's basically as digital versions of my Nikon F2. I am about as old school as you will get, make no bones about it, still shoot lots of film (mostly black and white) in 35mm and 2 1/4, and this old dog has no desire whatsoever to learn any new tricks. All I do is modify my old tricks a little to work with digital. What has worked for me for the last 45 years is still working just fine for me now so why do I need to change? I am at the age (60) where my hard drive is almost full and to learn something new I need to forget something and it might be important! I get more bad sectors on my HD by the year so I need to save what I have! :eek:

Not meaning to put you off but I really don't know and the last thing I want to do is tell you something that is incorrect.

Last edited:

gustafson

To be brutally honest, I am probably the LAST person you want to ask about this subject. I honestly don't know jack***t about Nikon's DX (or honestly FX) DSLR's. I will be totally honest in saying that I don't know what 90+% of the buttons or menu items on Nikon's DSLR's do and to be honest I could care less because all of my lenses are MF AI/AIS, all of my strobes (non-studio) are Sunpak 555's that are used in manual most of the time for the kind of work I use them for and I use my DSLR's basically as digital versions of my Nikon F2. I am about as old school as you will get, make no bones about it, still shoot lots of film in 35mm and 2 1/4, and this old dog has no desire whatsoever to learn any new tricks. All I do is modify my old tricks a little to work with digital. What has worked for me for the last 45 years is still working just fine for me now so why do I need to change? I am at the age (60) where my hard drive is almost full and to learn something new I need to forget something. I get more bad sectors on my HD by the year so I need to save what I have! :eek:

Not meaning to put you off but I really don't know.

That's cool, and not put off or anything. Just wondering if the higher end models had any substantial advantages for 100% manual shooters. Thinking about it, the D7100 has an arguable better focus confirmation feature for manual focusing (arrows and dot, as opposed to green dot on the D3x00), and can meter AI, AI-s, and AI'd lenses, so there are a couple of advantages off the top of my head.

STM

That's cool, and not put off or anything. Just wondering if the higher end models had any substantial advantages for 100% manual shooters. Thinking about it, the D7100 has an arguable better focus confirmation feature for manual focusing (arrows and dot, as opposed to green dot on the D3x00), and can meter AI, AI-s, and AI'd lenses, so there are a couple of advantages off the top of my head.

When I retired my aging D300 for a D7100 a month or so ago I also got a microprism/split image screen for it. I did the same for my D700 when I got it several years ago. The screens in DSLR's are fine when you are using AF lenses but they fall pretty short in most cases for manual focusing unless your subject has a bright specular highlight. This is not meant to be a slight on them, it is just what they are designed to do. The rangefinder/focus indicators on the D700 and D7100 are ok if the light levels are high but they are slow to react, are not particularly fine in their discrimination. Many times when my focusing screen says the subject is in perfect focus, the focus indicators say it is not and the focusing screen is right. When the light levels fall they both are next to useless because they will only work at EV's at which AF is designed to work. Our eyes are much better than the AF modules in these cameras in low light, especially when using fast primes like I do. A microprism or split image screen works a whole lot better in low light than the AF modules and is far more discriminating.

STM

That's cool, and not put off or anything. Just wondering if the higher end models had any substantial advantages for 100% manual shooters. Thinking about it, the D7100 has an arguable better focus confirmation feature for manual focusing (arrows and dot, as opposed to green dot on the D3x00), and can meter AI, AI

Reasons why I chose it to replace the D300. The D300 does not really work well about ISO 400, things get pretty yucky pretty quickly. The D7100 looks a lot better at 1200 than the D300 does at 400, at least from a noise standpoint. Resolution wise the difference is far more pronounced.

gustafson

That's cool, and not put off or anything. Just wondering if the higher end models had any substantial advantages for 100% manual shooters. Thinking about it, the D7100 has an arguable better focus confirmation feature for manual focusing (arrows and dot, as opposed to green dot on the D3x00), and can meter AI, AI

Reasons why I chose it to replace the D300. The D300 does not really work well about ISO 400, things get pretty yucky pretty quickly. The D7100 looks a lot better at 1200 than the D300 does at 400, at least from a noise standpoint. Resolution wise the difference is far more pronounced.

That makes a lot of sense, thanks for pointing it out.