You may think I'm nuts

silvercreek

I always been known for a little over-kill now and then and I figured I may as well not stop now. It's very humid here most of the time. The humidity is usually 50% to 60% most of the time. In the summer it's 95% humidity. So I decided to fix it where I won't need to worry about the camera equipment getting damaged with this air tight container and a rechargeable de-humidifier in it. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Fred Kingston_RIP

Have you measured what the humidity gets down to inside the box?

Here in Florida, it didn't rain today and the outside humidity is 77% @ 83º... Inside humidity is 50% sitting on my desk...

silvercreek

Have you measured what the humidity gets down to inside the box?

Here in Florida, it didn't rain today and the outside humidity is 77% @ 83º... Inside humidity is 50% sitting on my desk...

I have not measured the humidity inside of the box. I'm really not concerned with that because there are 2 rechargeable desiccant modules inside that will draw humidity from 100 square feet for each one for 2 to 3 weeks. One is inside the backpack with the camera equipment and the other one is inside the air tight container that you can see in the picture.

Last edited:

Dave_W

The Dude
I think you're smart doing this, it certainly can't hurt. Fungus in a lens is next to impossible to remove without spending big bucks. Living here in the dry west, fungus is not much of a problem but if I did live where humidity was high, I'd probably do something like what you're doing.

Last edited:

silvercreek

I think you're smart doing this, it certainly can't hurt. Fungus in a lens is next to impossible to remove without spending big bucks. Living here in the dry west, fungus is not must of a problem but if I did live where humidity was high, I'd probably do something like what you're doing.

I've always believed in some of those old saying about,"an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."

Ruidoso Bill

I think prevention is a good idea also however I must admit I have never had a humidity related problem with any of my cameras since the late 1960's. I now live in a low humidity location so probably not gonna happen. I have thrown some desiccant in the camera bags while traveling to certain locations, not sure if it helps or not, camera bags are not air tight.

Last edited:

silvercreek

I've had this de-humidifier since September 19th and just now had to plug it in to recharge it for the first time. This is a great product for keeping the humidity out of your equipment. Almost 16 weeks inside of the air tight container before recharging.

Last edited: