Yet another 'which lens' question

Horoscope Fish

@Mr.Fish. The last guy that attacked my beloved 18-55 now sleeps with the fishes.
Oh make no mistake; while I suggest replacement lenses I do so without taking aaaanything away from the very capable 18-55mm. I think it's a fine little lens and I reeeeally like the new version, the one with VR II. If Nikon ever makes an f/1.8 version of that lens you better believe I'll be on one like a fat kid on cake.

Now, all that being said in its defense, once you get your mitts around the 18-140mm I promise you won't miss your 18-55mm even a little. You'll fall asleep at night as you say to yourself, "Damnit Fish you were right. So very, very right..."

sonicbuffalo_RIP

I'll second the motion to get the 18-140. It's a great lens for the price. That's one reason if I do decide to sell my D7100, I won't break up the kit....as I bought the 18-140 with the D7100. I got a great deal getting both a great lens and the D7100. It will definitely be your 'go to' lens.

Elliot87

Greetings Deano,

Ok, in general any lens that covers a wide variation in focal lengths generally ends up being "ok" at most of them but not really spectactular at any. It's a bit of a limitation of the design of such a lens. While I've heard some good things about the Tamron 70-300 mm, my recommendation would be to look at the Nikkor 70-300 mm AF-S G VR. It is a little more expensive, but really worth every penny. It is an unbelievably sharp lens, focus is fast and reliable, it truly is a spectacular lens.

I haven't used either the Tamron or Nikkor 70-300 yet but as a 70-300 is likely to be my next purchase I've read a lot about them. What I've gathered is the Tamron is at least as good as the Nikkor in terms of sharpness and fast focusing, the VC is apparently better also. Colours are better on the Nikkor from what I've read. I plan on trying both out before buying but it looks to me like the Tamron is better value.

DEANO3528

Argh, Elliot! You've thrown the proverbial spanner into the decision engine workings!
I do like to stay with manf' lenses where possible but the price and performance of the Tamron for instance is quite frankly, more than a little appealing.
I also like the one lens for all or 'walkround/travel lens too, however I believe/hope that people's advice to me was bearing in mind the speed req'd for air display etc.
I think that probably, having purchased this lens and allowed the finance manager to calm down a bit, my next buy would probably be something in the 35mm-ish prime category. 50 mil always used to be pretty std in film, however with the digi' lenses running higher probably 35 is as big as I need (I always used to love taking night shots no flash in film).
THanks for the replies, all very good

robbins.photo

I haven't used either the Tamron or Nikkor 70-300 yet but as a 70-300 is likely to be my next purchase I've read a lot about them. What I've gathered is the Tamron is at least as good as the Nikkor in terms of sharpness and fast focusing, the VC is apparently better also. Colours are better on the Nikkor from what I've read. I plan on trying both out before buying but it looks to me like the Tamron is better value.

Well I've never shot the Tamron personally so I can't really speak from experience when comparing the two, but I can say that the Nikkor 70-300 non-vr version was probably one of the sharpest lenses I've worked with and produced really fantastic images everytime.

aroy

I have found that the zoom is really useful at the shorter side, so 18-55 or 18-105 is very useful. Beyond 150mm there is not much of a choice, it is ether IQ with prime or utility with zoom, unless you go for the expensive professional zooms. So here is what I find useful combunations
. 18-55 kit zoom - an excellent all round good light lense.
. 105/135mm prime for both close ups and those middle distances.
. 300mm for longer distances.

As the current 24MP DX sensors are quite good , using primes and cropping gives much better results compared to using inexpensive zooms to fill up the sensor real estate.

Camera Fun

I just recently purchased my Tamron 70-300 but I've been in a very busy period at work so I haven't had a chance to get out and use it. I bought it based on what I read on this site, the salesperson's recommendations (at a real camera store), and the current $100 rebate.

DEANO3528

Well Amazon sent me a flyer which included: Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Lens

Might that be even better than the 70-300? It is certainly cheaper at 194 as opposed to Wex wanting 249 with cashback.

Elliot87

Well Amazon sent me a flyer which included: Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Lens

Might that be even better than the 70-300? It is certainly cheaper at 194 as opposed to Wex wanting 249 with cashback.

From what I've read both the Tamron and Nikon 70-300 are better glass than the 55-300. The 55-300 also has slower autofocus, I assume that would be a draw back when shooting air displays. Saying that I know there are a few regulars on here who use the 55-300 and get some very good results.
Yesterday I bought the Tamron 70-300 VC for £289. I've only used it a little today but so far I'm very impressed with it, certainly a step up on my kit 55-200 Nikon lens. The VC (vibration control) is very impressive at slower shutter speeds.

DEANO3528

So torn over this! NPhoto have done a test this month and the Tamron 70-300 comes so close to the Nikon 70-300 they should be very concerned!

DEANO3528

I just saw the Nikon lens for sale at Expedite Electronics for 70 quid less than Amazon!
Having checked a forum thread elsewhere dedicated to this company, it seems they are legit, even though sending from HK.

Horoscope Fish

I just saw the Nikon lens for sale at Expedite Electronics for 70 quid less than Amazon!
Having checked a forum thread elsewhere dedicated to this company, it seems they are legit, even though sending from HK.
Not that I care where you shop but this sounds like it might be a grey market item/vendor. I mention this only because if it *is* a grey market deal, that will affect the warranty and by "affect" I mean you won't have one that Nikon will honor. And while I don't know if that matters to you or not, I thought it should be pointed out.

Horoscope Fish

That's a fair point HF but can much actually go wrong with a lens? I ask in all sincerity.
How many things can go wrong might be balanced out by how important just a few functions are... Things like metering accurately, the shutter working, auto-focus is nice. Then of course there are always potential problems with manufacturing. While I'm sure it sounds like I am, I assure you I'm not trying do dissuade from you buying grey market -- I really couldn't care less how someone else spends their money -- I'm just trying to make sure you understand what you're doing should you choose to go that route.