Yan's pictures

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
That seems like a good looking radio, must have been the centerpiece of a family's living room back then.

I'd say from the style it's from post-war 1940s? AM and 3 shortwave bands. Likely a knob for tone, one for volume and one for tuning? How many tubes does it has? 7-8 perhaps?

Do you have more details of it? Was it recapped to a working order? It does look like a great piece of furniture.
My girlfriend had it when I met her. It's not working now but doesn't seem it was emptied. I'll try to post a picture of the inside sometimes.
But it certainly is a nice piece of furniture for now.

Yan Lauzon

My girlfriend had it when I met her. It's not working now but doesn't seem it was emptied. I'll try to post a picture of the inside sometimes.
But it certainly is a nice piece of furniture for now.
If it wasn't serviced, don't connect it. 70+ year old capacitors tend to become conductive, and this on the power line can become a fire hasard.
Recapped, these old radios are amazing. Sadly, there's less and less AM stations out there.
Mine had the first implementations of modern FM still in use today, it's awesome.

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
If it wasn't serviced, don't connect it. 70+ year old capacitors tend to become conductive, and this on the power line can become a fire hasard.
Recapped, these old radios are amazing. Sadly, there's less and less AM stations out there.
Mine had the first implementations of modern FM still in use today, it's awesome.
Are they expensive to service? What are they worth before service, and then after service?

Yan Lauzon

Are they expensive to service? What are they worth before service, and then after service?
The sad part is that having them serviced doesn't increase their perceived value, so the price of having it serviced is not an investment leading to a resell value.

If you can use a soldering iron, you likely can do the job for the cost of the capacitors - if it has say 7 tubes, you may have about 50-70 caps in there. Vacuum tube technology is rather simple compared to today's microprocessors.

Last edited:

Yan Lauzon

I like colorful buildings.
20171119_130600_DSC_1154_yl.jpg

Yan Lauzon

That seemed like an easy shot in my head, but I had more issues than anticipated to get the colors to all look good.

20171127_072517_DSC_1237_yl.jpg

Last edited:

Yan Lauzon

Snowy trees

20171226_110703_DSC_1781_yl.jpg

We don't have a nice blue unclouded sky very often around here but when we do, the shots are great :)

Last edited:

Yan Lauzon

Although winter time and work currently reduces my photographer time, I recently received this yongnuo 50mm lens I ordered from Hong Kong.
It's my first prime, and a lot of fun. I like the aperture, it's bokeh and low-light ability.

Here's one of the first shots I took with it.

CSC_1946_yl.jpg

I'll surely use it often