WTB Nikon D7100

carguy

I am looking at 550-ish. I want if possible to buy from a private party or at least from a store that will verify shutter count. Most of the stores I am aware of won't do that. Maybe there are some smaller ones that will. I have no problem with someone making a profit but I want to try to maximize the odds that the camera was well cared for. I have had bad luck with "refurbs." I have never bought one directly, but a couple of times with electronics, once with a super expensive IPS monitor that was DOA, the equipment was replaced with refurb and the refurbs all had problems. I actually had to return the monitor 5 times before I got a model that did not fail within a matter of weeks. So my thinking is that if someone bought a camera with a problem and sent it back, a tech checks it out and it is back on the shelf as a refurb but the problem could easily be missed if it isn't replicated easily. That could even happen with the camera I just bought and returned. The yellow splodge in images only occurred about 10% of the time and in a certain mode. And practically speaking, the camera looked to be in mint condition. So hence my desire to try to buy something from a private party.
$550 should get you a clean refurbished body right now. The issues you describe above are rare and certainly not the norm. I'd buy a Nikon refurb over private seller every time unless there is a wide price differential.

It's a great camera, I'm looking for a second myself to shoot remote during hockey games.

Last edited:

Veritas

Yippee! My refurb arrived today and very happy. Everything as advertised except it did not ship with the little plastic insert that protects the hot shoe? The D7000 had this and I could have sworn it was one of the advertised package accessories for the D7100. Before I make a fool of myself asking for something that may or may not be part of the original kit, can anyone tell me if their D7100 had this piece? Given that the camera is sealed against environmental stressors the exposed contacts on the hotshoe look positively naked ::what::

Horoscope Fish

Yippee! My refurb arrived today and very happy. Everything as advertised except it did not ship with the little plastic insert that protects the hot shoe? The D7000 had this and I could have sworn it was one of the advertised package accessories for the D7100. Before I make a fool of myself asking for something that may or may not be part of the original kit, can anyone tell me if their D7100 had this piece? Given that the camera is sealed against environmental stressors the exposed contacts on the hotshoe look positively naked ::what::
Don't quote me on this, but I'm pretty sure my 7100 came with one. You can buy a new one for $2 from places like B&H, Adorama, etc. if you're worried about it. Nikon calls it the BS-1 Hot Shoe Cover.

I typically throw mine away.

Ironwood

Congrats on the D7100, its a great camera.
Mine did come with the hot-shoe cover, but being the forgetful person I am, I forgot to put it back on at some stage and dont know where it is now.
Some of the newer cameras dont come with the cover.

So you did get a refurb instead of used? Where did you end up buying it from?

Veritas

I got a factory refurbished model with a 90 day factory warranty from Adorama for $549. It has just over 900 shutter actuations and it looks brand new inside and out. Since I did so much prep for the D7000 that I had to return, the D7100 feels pretty familiar; but I can tell it is an upgrade. It works great. We have had a bit of rain today and it arrived late in the day so have only taken a picture to check the shutter count and a few of our dripping eves, but everything about it, even the monitor, is great. The sale was over pretty quickly, too. Had I not acted quickly I would have been out of luck.

I can't thank everyone enough for the support and advice. I feel like I got a great deal on it and had a lot more confidence behind the purchase than I would have otherwise.

Last edited:

RocketCowboy

My D7100 shipped with the hot shoe cover as well, but Nikon has since stopped including those when the newer bodies. I'm not certain, but I think this includes the refurb units that roll through Nikon's centers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Veritas

It was listed in Q&A by a staff member as part of the kit so I think I will bug them for one first. But good to know where to find one.

tcd511

Don't know if you ever found what you are looking for but I have my D7100 up for sale on ebay for $500. Comes with original box and everything you were mentioning except for the strap (unless I can find it). Also comes with an aftermarket battery grip. All for 500. If your still looking or interested let me know? I just had it serviced and sensor cleaned in anticipation of selling it. Shutter count is 5,948.

Veritas

I bought mine as a refurb on Adorama, but I have a friend that I think would be interested. I will forward your info to him. Thanks for letting me know. I love my camera, BTW.