Windows 10 Coming on July 29

rocketman122

I would have no issue at all to stay with xp if i could. No Driver and ram upgrade/ssd pushed me to 7. I hate it. They made the work flow much worse but making it look neat by hiding everything under menu which are in more menus. Theres nothing good about 7. Not moving any more forward. No gif support in windows viewer and when zoomibg in on a picture it becomes pixilated. Whos the idot that gave the ok to that.

Its Just Me

You don't have to get it. :rolleyes: Never understood this fanboy hatred-ism. BTW My Win 8.1 is pretty darn secure as long as I don't visit the dark side. I have Linux for that.

On my laptop I have 7. On my desktop I still have Vista. It isn't "fanboy hatism", it's damn tired of Windows putting out crappy assed software hatism!

And it's not completely Microsofts fault. But they will let ANYONE write code and then let YOU be the person to de-bug it.

Or have you NOT noticed all of the bloatware that comes with the typical Microsoft OS?

Horoscope Fish

ANOTHER Windows operating system that promises to be the BEST ONE!
That's because they're ALL the best one. Microsoft Windows reinvents the very concept of "best" with every release of Windows. Without Windows, I doubt we'd even *have* the word, "best". We'd just use the word "Windows" instead to convey the same idea. To wit: "Wow... My mom's lasagne is the WINDOWS!"

Blacktop

On my laptop I have 7. On my desktop I still have Vista. It isn't "fanboy hatism", it's damn tired of Windows putting out crappy assed software hatism!

And it's not completely Microsoft's fault. But they will let ANYONE write code and then let YOU be the person to de-bug it.

Or have you NOT noticed all of the bloatware that comes with the typical Microsoft OS?

Actually I haven't seen much bloatware since I bought my machine that had Win 7 on it. I downloaded Win8 from Microsoft directly, to upgrade 7 and it had no bloatware. I'm sure if you buy a machine with Win 8 pre installed it will have the usual bloatware, which you could remove.

On my desktop I still have Vista
So sorry!;)

ryan20fun

Most changes in new OS releases are not visual ones, They are internal ones that the software developers like to see.
Win8.1 had some kernal changes to allow Visual Studio 2013 users to use a much more powerfull graphics debugger, But most users do not know about that.

But yeah, What visual changes can be made to give a wow impression ?

Its Just Me

Actually I haven't seen much bloatware since I bought my machine that had Win 7 on it. I downloaded Win8 from Microsoft directly, to upgrade 7 and it had no bloatware. I'm sure if you buy a machine with Win 8 pre installed it will have the usual bloatware, which you could remove.

So sorry!;)

I appreciate the sympathy, but it's not needed. Vista works just fine.

Vista was a big mistake. Win 7 was a great improvement. Win 8? They tired to make everyone a tablet user. 8.1 at its core was very good and once you used a 3rd party app to get a start menu it was great. A lot faster. Win 10 has a real start menu and allows you to tweak it to suit you needs and likes. Our very own Jack convinced me to "try it, you will like it" I did and I do. I actually have a laptop with touch a touch screen and I hate it and try to keep my hands off the screen.

Moab Man

It's the same as 7..lol... Except it has a different looking start screen, which BTW you can convert back to the 7 desktop in like 2-3 seconds top, and it's much lighter using less resources.
Can't wait for 10!

Tell that to my one HP Laptop that only half functions. I keep having to factory restore because updates disable the bluetooth which is a known problem. HP's solution... shut off updates.

fotojack

I've been using Windows 10 since it came out ( Insider Preview Evaluation Copy). I'm on the latest version as we speak (Ver. 10130). This is on my desk top PC.
On my new ASUS lap top, I have Windows 8.1, and it works quite well. Think of it as Windows 7 on steroids! :) Got the Windows 10 invite in my task bar last night, asking me to reserve my copy of the new 10 version. Of course I'm going to download it when it comes available! It's free! :)

I have an old Lenovo 32 bit lap top that I still use Windows 7 Pro on. Not gonna upgrade that one.........it only has 2 GB of ram! lol I'll keep that one as a last resort standby.

You might as well get used to it if you stay with Windows, because it's going to be the de facto operating system. A slight learning curve, granted...but you'll get used to it eventually. :)

fotojack

They are going to a subscription model for Win 10. It'll be a free upgrade... for the first year.

That hasn't been fully determined as of yet. Those that do download the new version now are getting it for free....forever....including any updates to it in the future.

I'm liking the start menu.

I like it too. You click on start and it pops up a screen that has the tiles on it but you can pick and choose which ones and how they are arrainged. You also have a traditional list view that can be expanded just like the old days. I have my favorites set up as tiles for quick access. My goal it to clean off the desktop of all applications and only have the minimum amount of files there for quick mostly one-time access and then delete. The only problem with being on the beta versions is that it wipes the start menu and you have to set it back up but we were warned that would happen in Beta. Just gives me a chance to play with different functions. No data or programs is ever lost.

skater

That hasn't been fully determined as of yet. Those that do download the new version now are getting it for free....forever....including any updates to it in the future.

The article ACO16 posted near the top of this thread made me think it was a subscription. In large type about a third of the way down the page, in the section titled "How will I get to download Windows 10?":

For Windows 7 and 8.1 users, Windows 10 will be free for one year. After that period – not to mention for standalone copies of the OS – the asking price is still a mystery.

That sounded like a subscription model to me. Now that you said that, I see it can be read a different way: After one year, current owners of 7 and 8.1 would have to pay to upgrade to 10.

I don't know why I even clicked on this thread; I have no interest in using Windows any more. I use it at work because I have to, but at home I haven't fired up my Windows install on my desktop machine in months. I intend for my next laptop (replacing my Macbook Pro) to be a Linux laptop.