Win10 and Nvidia GS 7600 video card

WayneF

Win10 analysis says this old GS 7600 graphics card is not compatible. However, the card works great in Win7, and the Win7 and Win10 graphics system requirements are worded exactly the same... DirectX 9 or later with WDDM 1.0 driver. WDDM 1.0 was back with Vista, and it has DirectX 9.

I also have the latest Win7 driver, valid for maybe about 100 cards, including this one, and still no go.

GeForce 309.08 Driver
Version: 309.08 WHQL
Release Date: 2015.2.24

So, other than probably any new card, how do I determine what specific feature I need?

J-see

I don't know if you read this page:

Windows 10 Insider Preview should support legacy NVIDIA video cards - Microsoft Community

The Geforce7 Series driver is no longer supported as driver that is installed automatically on the Windows 10 installation. It is supported in Windows 8 but not on the Windows 10 Tech Preview.Latest known Windows 7 driver that works correctly for the Geforce7 Series on Windows 10 Tech Preview build 9879 is the GeForce 307.83 WHQL driver version.This should also be integrated. in the Windows 10 installation process.

From what I read you can use Win7 drivers to make it work on Win10.

J-see

I've been reading through the pages and it seems that depending the current build of Win10 the drivers may no longer work. The problem seems to be Nvidia which no longer supports the series.

There's a hotfix driver which may or may not work: GeForce Hotfix driver 353.49

If that one doesn't work you're out of luck.

WayneF

Darned if I can decipher what that is saying. It's even worse than Nikon-speak. :)

My wishful thinking hopes it implies the Win10 install may proceed anyway, like with just a VGA driver. Then at that time, perhaps a driver can be installed, if one is found. I'm in no hurry (am even rather skeptical), so maybe biding my time will pay off.

J-see

I was thinking of upgrading the PC to 10 but since I also got an older Nvidia I think I save myself from entering that hellhole.

Mine is an AIO so upgrading the card is out of the question.

Blacktop

Darned if I can decipher what that is saying. It's even worse than Nikon-speak. :)

My wishful thinking hopes it implies the Win10 install may proceed anyway, like with just a VGA driver. Then at that time, perhaps a driver can be installed, if one is found. I'm in no hurry (am even rather skeptical), so maybe biding my time will pay off.

Now you know how I feel when I'm trying to decipher flash photography.:D

Video cards are not very expensive these days. If your machine supports a dedicated card ,you may just want to upgrade. A faster card is always a good thing.