Will lenses from old Nikon N8008S work on D3300?

Bob Blaylock

They should all work just fine, albeit with some limitations.

Looking it up on the Wikipedia, it appears that the N8008S supported an early form of the CPU-type lenses, so the lenses made to go with it may very well be CPU-compatible with the D3300. You won't get autofocus with them, of course. The D3300 only autofocuses with AF-I or AF-S lenses that have their own built-in focusing motors, which the lenses for the N8008S would surely not have.

I guess you'll just have to experiment to figure out how fully-compatible these lenses are with the D3300. The very worst possible case, if the CPU feature of the lenses is not what the D3300 expects, would be that the D3300 will only be able to work with them in “M” mode, with no exposure metering, leaving you to figure out and set the exposure settings manually.

tea2085

Wow, thanks Bob- the camera who my buddy inherited is his brothers who died young. It is supposedly a very expensive camera as Paul was a professional photographer/birder. How much would of a problem would it be to set the exposure settings? Paul

Bob Blaylock

Wow, thanks Bob- the camera who my buddy inherited is his brothers who died young. It is supposedly a very expensive camera as Paul was a professional photographer/birder. How much would of a problem would it be to set the exposure settings? Paul

It shouldn't be much of a problem. A very nice thing about digital photography, compared to film, is that you can see the result right away. Start with an estimate of the correct exposure, and take a picture. If it comes out underexposed, slow down the shutter, open the aperture wider, or boost the ISO. If it's overexposed, do the opposite. Very easy trial-and-error to get to the right exposure. But if the CPU feature of these lenses is compatible with that of the D3300, then this shouldn't even be necessary.

From what I see about it on the Wikipedia, the N8008S wasn't quite top-of-the-line (among its contemporaries, that would have been the F4), but it was very high up.

Just-Clayton

I do know I have a 50mm manual lens that is over 50 years old and it worked great on the 3100. I set the aperture and focus on the lens. I can not use it on the 300 or 610. Since I sold the 3100 I use it with a reversing ring for macro.

tea2085

Sorry, I had all the lens written down bu have lost that info- I will rewrite them with my next visit to my pal. Paul

WayneF

Even if they are AF lenses, the N8008 date is too old to be the AF-S lenses that the D3300 requires to do AF (AF should work on a D7100). They can still be focused manually. If not AF lenses, then more description is needed about which lenses they are.

skene

Well if they are D lenses, they will work with all things except for AF, as they use a screw type motor found on the bodies of the more expensive models (excluding D3XXX and D5XXX bodies)