Why you do not need filters

mikew_RIP

??? don't understand

If you mean me, basically just because someone is lucky with their decision they should not expect others to be, when you see a lens for sale on ebay with a scratched front element it takes some selling and normally loses a lot of money even though it may not affect the results.

Jr1

Banned
I never mean anyone so i do not mean you, I never comment and mean a specific I always mean people in general person otherwise it gets childishly personal.

mikew_RIP

I have never understood the logic of putting a $45 piece of glass in front of a $600 lens ?

This could go on for ever,look at the cost of each element in a lens,compare it with the cost of a top-end filter,most times the filter costs more,not saying there are not problems with using them but a sensible approach is the answer.

Jr1

Banned
I never mean anyone so i do not mean you, I never comment and mean a specific I always mean people in general person otherwise it gets childishly personal.

Duh................... as I said it depends on what you do, if all you shoot is safe subjects perhaps not, as i clearly stated I would rather wipe the champagne from a filter than a £2k lens

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 109

Horoscope Fish

I have never understood the logic of putting a $45 piece of glass in front of a $600 lens ?
As I said before, I use Hoya HD Protectors frequently because I much prefer getting crap on a filter instead of the lens to begin with. I shoot in some harsh (for cameras, anyway) environments and I'd much rather have "a $45 piece of glass" taking the heat. The filter is removable so I can swap it out in the field if it gets caked (which it frequently does) with, say nasty a$$ salt-water residue from shooting surfers for just one example. It also cleans up very conveniently at the kitchen sink (or beach shower) without so much as touching my $1,000 lens because yeah... Cleaning that abrasive salt residue is definitely something I want to be wiping off my front lens-element... Over and over and over again. Some photographers have the luxury of shooting in safe, "sterile" environments but that's not me.

crashton

Whenever a filter or not thread comes up it is always seems to be the same. Folks use them with good reason & someone will chime in with I don't see a need for them. Seems to me both folks should do what is right for them. I use filters & they have saved me a couple of lenses over the years. That is enough for me to keep using them. Use them or not it's everyone's own choice. :highly_amused: