Why not a Blog 7

stmv

ok,, no more lens for a while, the Nikkor 300 mm F4 just came! and my wife is counting up the number of boxes that has shown up in the last month.

I just find that this time of year, lots of great lens show up on ebay. I was not planning on
buying the 300 F4, but when no one bid at 340 dollars, it was like, bingo.

The 300 mm F4 is a beautiful lens, fit and finish, old school nikon. I do like the crinkle metal look, and
you can tell the lens is built tough. However, I wonder how weather proof it is. I better be careful, but
I am not planning on taking it out on rainy days.

The weight feels just right, fairly heavy, but easy enough for hand carry. I am definitely selling my
two old manual lens, laughs, or not. I do like having the historical comparison of the old manual

ok, I just talked myself out of selling them,, just because it is interesting to go from the old
Pre AI lens (built like a tank with those scalloped focus rings), to the AI version of the lens
on to the auto focus ED version.

I'll have to do a controlled test of same aperature, tripod, subject test to compare sharpness.

but,, in the end, I know now that I will be using the auto focus version and never the two
older manual versions.

funny, but I cannot say the same for the smaller primes, I use the old manual primes way more then
my more modern autofoucs versions.

stmv

Thinking about a photo night soon, most likely downtown, for xmas lights, people,

Hoping for a snow night, or at least snow on the bricks walkways. although a rain night is nice too, since the xmas lights reflect off puddles and such.

Maybe a 360 merge, those are fun.

I have a Ninja Nodal tripod attachment to keep the film plane (ok sensor plane) the correct distance so that you don't get those repeating ghost images when panning. Not important outside with trees, but with buildings, critical.

stmv

darn, my post did not take today, saw all the fuss about instagram,

guess my view is just about anything put up on the net, becomes public, which is why I just post the small 360K stuff, yes, could be used for a screen saver, but not for printing.

stmv

I was thinking of the what if

Nikon came out with a new FX camera

Translucent mirror (so no mirror shake)
shutterless (no mechnical parts)
FX sensor (for dof)
single lens from 15mm to 200 (with a 2x optical add on if needed)
variable dynamic range (beyond the human eye, but variable down to current sensors (for artistic control)
Fstop of 1.2 to 32
light weight, say little smaller than the current 3100
water proof, dust proof, shock proof
wireless of course
no distortion in the lens

mm,, then all my old gear would become dust collectors.