Why didn't I start using this earlier?

Clovishound

User defined modes that is. I started out using aperture preferred, as this is what I was used to with film cameras for a very long time. As I got into wildlife, mostly birds, photography, I switched to manual with auto ISO. This worked better for me in most ways, but the biggest problem was switching from fairly static subjects, to fast moving, ie flying, subjects. Exposure was easy enough to change quickly, but focus release, and focus area required getting into the menu. This could not be changed quickly enough to react to a sudden opportunity.

Enter the user defined modes on the mode dial. Just program the camera to the anticipated needs, and then save it to either U1, U2, or U3. Then one has to only twist the top dial a notch or two to get the desired settings in a hurry. I've set up U1 for static birds, U2 for BIF, and am still trying to decide on what to use U3 for. Now all I have to do is remember which one is which. It's also a quick way to zero out any adjustments I have made to react to conditions. A quick twist to a different mode and then back, puts me at default in a hurry.

I've been using this for the last few outings and find it works well for me. I'm finding this to be another very handy feature of the Z cameras.

Patrick M

Used it all the time until I sold my z6 last week. Really useful, I agree.
If I‘m shooting a specific type, then I’ll set u1..3 to something just in case. So long as I remember what!
now I haven’t got user buttons but banks. Something else to remember!

Paliswe

I used Ux all the time when I had my D7000 and D7200. I worked perfectly. Choosing one of them put my camera i a pre-saved mode, which I could do changes from. Switch off the camera for a while and turning it on and continue as before. Resetting to saved setting by changing from one Ux to another and back again.
Now I have Z6 and everything i set back to saved values as soon as I turn the camera off (to save the battery) and turning it on again, without switching to another Ux. That's a big drawback.

It's also difficult to remember what settings I have on different Ux and why I have saved it (getting old...). One way to remember would be that as soon as I turn the knob, a list of all Ux come up on the display where I have typed in a name for that setting:
U1 Birds
U2 Landscape
U3 Flash mingle
then I select the one I want for the moment. Maybe something for Nikon to add to their cameras!

Fred Kingston

I never understood Uxx... Needless to say, I never saw fit to use it... Understand the settings in the camera, and how/when to change whatever settings you need.

BF Hammer

I have not bothered to really program my User settings, even though I have had them for 3 camera bodies now. I should preset my watch macro settings as I do that often, but I also have them memorized well so not a priority.

But for the April eclipse, I will be using the U settings. Very short time to be making changes between the partial and total phase, so it will make very good sense for that.

Paliswe

Once I was on a event, that was partly inside, fairly dark, partly outside in the sunshine. I had to use flash inside the house. No flash in the sunshine. At that time I saved one setting to U1 and the other to U2, and just switched between the two easily.
But now (with my Z6) I often use A or M instead so I have full control on my settings.

Clovishound

I never understood Uxx... Needless to say, I never saw fit to use it... Understand the settings in the camera, and how/when to change whatever settings you need.
Well, for me, it isn't a matter of understanding the settings, it's the fact that sometimes I need a combination of settings quickly, that would take me time to go through the various menus to set. If I'm shooting static birds and a flying bird comes into range unexpectedly, I don't have time to go through the menus and change to auto AF area, then again with continuous shooting, and then change my shutter speed. By the time, I've done all that, the bird is long gone. One quick turn of the mode dial gives me all that in seconds. Once I'm done with the flying bird, I can switch back to settings for static birds with one quick motion.

I've also got one set up for macro. When I go out shooting macro, I can get my preset base settings with a simple twist of the mode dial, vs individually changing a handful of settings. In that case it's just a convenience thing.

Fred Kingston

I have not bothered to really program my User settings, even though I have had them for 3 camera bodies now. I should preset my watch macro settings as I do that often, but I also have them memorized well so not a priority.

But for the April eclipse, I will be using the U settings. Very short time to be making changes between the partial and total phase, so it will make very good sense for that.
What setting are you going to change between the two phases?

Camera Fun

I did all the settings back when I had a film camera but I really like the User Mode function. I agree it's much easier & quicker to move a single dial to select U1, U2, or U3.

BF Hammer

What setting are you going to change between the two phases?
Shutter speed. The solar filter will come off during totality. There should be no need to hunt for the speed I was using on the ante-total phase during post-total. This will also apply to the second body I will have on a star-tracker taking a time-lapse.

Danno

User defined modes that is. I started out using aperture preferred, as this is what I was used to with film cameras for a very long time. As I got into wildlife, mostly birds, photography, I switched to manual with auto ISO. This worked better for me in most ways, but the biggest problem was switching from fairly static subjects, to fast moving, ie flying, subjects. Exposure was easy enough to change quickly, but focus release, and focus area required getting into the menu. This could not be changed quickly enough to react to a sudden opportunity.

Enter the user defined modes on the mode dial. Just program the camera to the anticipated needs, and then save it to either U1, U2, or U3. Then one has to only twist the top dial a notch or two to get the desired settings in a hurry. I've set up U1 for static birds, U2 for BIF, and am still trying to decide on what to use U3 for. Now all I have to do is remember which one is which. It's also a quick way to zero out any adjustments I have made to react to conditions. A quick twist to a different mode and then back, puts me at default in a hurry.

I've been using this for the last few outings and find it works well for me. I'm finding this to be another very handy feature of the Z cameras.
I tried using them but never could keep them straight. Now I do use the user banks on the Z8 all the time. They can be named and stored in the i menu, and that really helps me. I actually wish I had been able to keep the U menus straight

Clovishound

Well, even if I couldn't remember which was which, looking through the viewfinder, or the back display, a glance at a key element would tell me which was which. Since there are only 3 on my Z5, I have no trouble keeping them straight in my mind.

Fred Kingston

Shutter speed. The solar filter will come off during totality. There should be no need to hunt for the speed I was using on the ante-total phase during post-total. This will also apply to the second body I will have on a star-tracker taking a time-lapse.
You can't see the shutter speed in at least 3 different places and turn the rear command dial, but you can turn the locked Ux dial???? :D

Woodyg3

Contributor
Well, for me, it isn't a matter of understanding the settings, it's the fact that sometimes I need a combination of settings quickly, that would take me time to go through the various menus to set. If I'm shooting static birds and a flying bird comes into range unexpectedly, I don't have time to go through the menus and change to auto AF area, then again with continuous shooting, and then change my shutter speed. By the time, I've done all that, the bird is long gone. One quick turn of the mode dial gives me all that in seconds. Once I'm done with the flying bird, I can switch back to settings for static birds with one quick motion.

I've also got one set up for macro. When I go out shooting macro, I can get my preset base settings with a simple twist of the mode dial, vs individually changing a handful of settings. In that case it's just a convenience thing.
Some people don't understand the need to very quickly change multiple settings, focus modes, etc when shooting wildlife. I haven't used the Z5, so I don't know the control layout, but it sounds the the user defined settings are a great way to make changes and get the shot before it's gone. I like to make use of the programable function buttons on my D500 for the same reason. It's all about knowing your equipment and making the best use of the features, which is exactly what you are doing.

Danno

Well, even if I couldn't remember which was which, looking through the viewfinder, or the back display, a glance at a key element would tell me which was which. Since there are only 3 on my Z5, I have no trouble keeping them straight in my mind.
You have not had a couple of strokes... the most superficial things confuse me.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I use Aperture Priority for most of my photos. U2 is programmed with BBF with Continuous Focus, Manual Mode, and Auto ISO. So when I come across a moving subject, U2 switches me into BBF while Aperture Priority is used with the shutter button focusing.