Which is better D5000 or D700?

solace

I have read the reviews of D5000 and D700. I am confused. Which model should I buy for my brother who is planning to study photography?

anjz

What part of the reviews were confusing to you? If you are loaded (either with money or scotch) get him the D700. Why not get a D90? It would be fine for a student and leave lots of room for growth.

Last edited:

blueiron

The D700 is better.

Professional use DSLR cameras do not have video capability. Video in a DSLR is marketed to the person with very infrequent video needs; vacations, baby's first steps, and the like.

Anyone with a need for video will want a dedicated video camera unit.

blueiron

My D3 does has a HDMI output, which I find useless, but no continuous video capture like a D5000. It can be used to make stop motion videos, though I find that feature pointless as well.

Why not just use a dedicated videocam that has much better performance?

Last edited:

fotobug

The D700 is better.

Professional use DSLR cameras do not have video capability. Video in a DSLR is marketed to the person with very infrequent video needs; vacations, baby's first steps, and the like.

Anyone with a need for video will want a dedicated video camera unit.

Actually they do now...the D3s, D300s are4 pro level nikons that are video enabled...D90as well but is more a consumer or prosumer camera, as well as some Canon pro level cameras. Photojournalist are using video more and more, newspapers are using multi-media presentations in their online publications, wedding photographers are using video in their slideshow presentations the give to their clients. Some films are being filmed exclusively with video enabled DSLR's (Indian Gangster, for instance is being filmed with Canon 5D Mkll's)

Check out some work by NYTimes photojournalist Vincent Laforet with Reverie (5D Mkll) and Nocturne (1D Mk4). You can find works by Amy Vitale and Robert Bosch (D300s) and Bill Frakes (D3s) on YouTube, if you want to see examples of what is being done with video capable DSLR's.

Many photojournalists still say that they are primarily concerned with the still image, but there are some stories that are best told with sound and motion...incorporating both motion and sound with still imagery is fast becoming a popular trend among pros and video enabled DSLR' s are helping them do that.;

Last edited:

blueiron

To me, this is a video camera.

Sony.jpg

Last edited:

KennethHamlett

OK, the real issue is which camera should he buy for his brother that plans on studying photography. If your brother plans on attending an actual school for photography most schools have equipment they loan students for assignments. This is normally top of the line still and video equipment. Plus, student photographers first learn in manual mode so all the other features of either are a moot point. So, buying the D700 that goes for twice the price of a D5000 seems a little overboard considering the above. Plus remember, when shooting with full-frame cameras such as the D700, you really need the best quality lenses in order to take advantage of the edge-to-edge sharpness gained from the full frame format. My bet would be on the D5000 or even the D3000.

zx7dave

I think it would be nice for a company like Pentax to make a 4-6mp fully manual camera like the K1000 (digital) was...learn manual first then move into better....

OK, the real issue is which camera should he buy for his brother that plans on studying photography. If your brother plans on attending an actual school for photography most schools have equipment they loan students for assignments. This is normally top of the line still and video equipment. Plus, student photographers first learn in manual mode so all the other features of either are a moot point. So, buying the D700 that goes for twice the price of a D5000 seems a little overboard considering the above. Plus remember, when shooting with full-frame cameras such as the D700, you really need the best quality lenses in order to take advantage of the edge-to-edge sharpness gained from the full frame format. My bet would be on the D5000 or even the D3000.

Greywoulf

+1! Agree completely as far as it goes...
-But as a very happy D40 user I would also suggest a lightly used D40 would be an even better option than a D3000 or D5000. The D3000 and D5000 cameras are somewhat lesser derivatives of the D40, and as such are considered by many reviewers to be not as good...

fotojack

Greywolf speaks the truth! The D40 is a much better camera than either the D5000 OR the D3000. Read Ken Rockwells take on the D40. You'd be surprised.

Ruidoso Bill

I don't think I would invest too much with someone just starting out, what if they don't care for photography once they get into it. If one of my kids asked me I would look for a used D70 or something similar with a semi decent lens, maybe a 50mm or a 35-70mm. Look at the more expensive gear when skill, desire, dedication warrant it. The D70 is also a great candidate for IR conversion when one moves up the Nikon ladder.

Last edited:

mamamel82

Hands down the d700. very much pro cam. D5000, I own, and is more entry level. very easy to use. If he is just starting out i would go with the d5000 or d90. and work your way up. gotta get familiar with it first. They are both great cameras.

CMAY

I have the d5000. I like to take action shots of my son playing baseball. What I love about the D5000 is that when I'm taking those action shots, I can switch in 1 second and capture a video of him swinging the bat and running to first base. I dont do a lot of video so this feature was great and handy for me to have.

Jase

Im in a similar boat to CMAY, one second I could be taking photos of my mates riding BMX and then in a quick change I can capture a video of them doing there run/tricks and such.