Which flash should i buy ?

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Several days ago I sent an email to Yongnuo USA asking them:

If I buy a Yongnuo flash from you, how is the warranty handled?

1. You replace the defective unit immediately
2. You repair the unit locally
3. You send the unit to China for repair. If this is the case, what kind of shipping is used, what is the average turnaround time, and who pays the shipping?

To date have not received a reply. So tonight, I just sent them one again. We will see!

If you're THAT concerned about getting a dubious one-year warranty just pay three or four-times what you need to and get a Nikon-branded flash from the start.

Some people will want to know this info ahead of time to weigh the pros and cons of buying a Yongnuo brand flash. While their cost is far less than a comparable Nikon flash, if the buyer has to pay shipping for warranty work, it will reduce (and possibly nullify) any savings over buying Nikon. So yes, some people will be THAT concerned. ;)

I have both an SB-700 and SB-910, and when I take photos at my church, I reach for the SB-910 because it is more powerful. Is there a Yongnuo that is comparable in power to the SB-910 that also offers HSS?

Horoscope Fish

I have both an SB-700 and SB-910, and when I take photos at my church, I reach for the SB-910 because it is more powerful. Is there a Yongnuo that is comparable in power to the SB-910 that also offers HSS?
Yes... The 568EX II.

Now, not that I care what flash you, or anyone else chooses to use, but to answer your question more fully the SB-910 and the 568EX have comparable guide-numbers (in fact the 568 reports a slightly better GN than the SB-910 but we all know those numbers are bit like MPG claims on new cars so lets call this one a wash) and it supports HSS up to 1/8000 shutter speed.

The 568EXII costs $101 on Amazon and has a US warranty (that I admittedly know nothing about).

A refurbished Nikon SB-910 on Amazon costs $535.

The way I look at this is for the price of one SB-910 I could buy three 568EXII's. I could then have all three of those 568's crap out on me, buy two more 568's and, at worst at this point, I'd be breaking even as compared to buying a single Nikon SB-910.

WayneF

Yeah, warranty is really not a Chinese question. :)

Here is one answer to your question: http://yongnuousa.net/terms

Yongnuo has no US presence, so assuming no US warranty seems wise. Sending it back to Hong Kong (as stated) is possibly the option, but postage cost will be substantial. They surely will want return shipping too. At best, the time will be substantial. I have no idea how practical that might be? I strongly doubt this is ever done.

But the price is right, and replacing it will be less expensive than paying to repair a Nikon.
Nikon does have a one year US warranty, but you'll pay a few times more to buy it in the first place.

I'd suggest buying Yongnuo through Amazon. Then you are protected by Amazons policies, easy return of defective items, etc. Buying on Ebay may not even have a return address.

In a few instances (but most not), Amazon offers a US warranty on a few Yongnuo items, at higher price. They also often offer third party warranties, at extra cost.

But the idea of buying Chinese is really that the low price makes your own self insurance be very feasible. The low price makes it be a commodity, it is expendable. There are very few complaints about Yongnuo gear. Don't sweat the small stuff. :)

Last edited:

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Yes... The 568EX II.

Now, not that I care what flash you, or anyone else chooses to use, but to answer your question more fully the SB-910 and the 568EX have comparable guide-numbers (in fact the 568 reports a slightly better GN than the SB-910 but we all know those numbers are bit like MPG claims on new cars so lets call this one a wash) and it supports HSS up to 1/8000 shutter speed.

The 568EXII costs $101 on Amazon and has a US warranty (that I admittedly know nothing about).

A refurbished Nikon SB-910 on Amazon costs $535.

The way I look at this is for the price of one SB-910 I could buy three 568EXII's. I could then have all three of those 568's crap out on me, buy two more 568's and, at worst at this point, I'd be breaking even as compared to buying a single Nikon SB-910.

Thanks for this, Paul. I wasn't sure if there was a comparable unit with HSS that was similar to the SB-910. What I really need to do is to figure out how to do manual flash instead of relying on iTTL. I have two SB-28 flashes that were seldom used and would do me more good by putting them to use than to sell them.

C. Hand

I followed the advice of several people on this forum and bought a Yongnuo YN685 flash and a N-622N-TX E-TTL Wireless Flash Controller. I love them. Being new to flash myself it took some YouTubing and some practice to learn how to use them (the user manual was pretty worthless to me). I have still not mastered them, but at least I am confident I can go get a decent shot. If I had it all to do over again, I would definitely buy them again and put the saved money on other gear.