Where to register a domain name

RocketCowboy

With SmugMug you have the choice of having the prints sent directly to the customer or directly to you so you can check and deliver the prints yourself.

Zenfolio provides the same. I'm not convinced they're (Zenfolio in this case) worth 7% of the sale, based on sale price, not the lab's cost ... in addition to the monthly subscription fee already charged.

Zenfolio provides the same. I'm not convinced they're (Zenfolio in this case) worth 7% of the sale, based on sale price, not the lab's cost ... in addition to the monthly subscription fee already charged.

The profit margin with SmugMug looks pretty good. It is spelled out up front so you can see what you are going to actually make.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
[MENTION=6277]Don Kuykendall[/MENTION] and @RocketCowboy thanks for the discussion. It helps me understand some of the things these sites offer.

In interesting paradox ... this time last year I was headed down the Smugmug or Zenfolio route while Don had excellent information on how to self host with Wordpress, and a year later we've both reversed. :) I still wish I had Don's Wordpress skills!

I just never got a look and functionality with sales that I liked. HAving the ectra upload and setup each time I added a photo was more than I wanted to deal with. With SmugMug I can upload a full size tiff directly from Lightroom. Make is easy for me. I do not do this for a living and really don't try to make any money with it so ease of use was important. People keep telling me they want to buy prints so I though it might be time to do something.

RocketCowboy

I just never got a look and functionality with sales that I liked. HAving the ectra upload and setup each time I added a photo was more than I wanted to deal with. With SmugMug I can upload a full size tiff directly from Lightroom. Make is easy for me. I do not do this for a living and really don't try to make any money with it so ease of use was important. People keep telling me they want to buy prints so I though it might be time to do something.

I hear ya! It's the perspective and what each of us is trying to accomplish that makes the differences interesting. ;)

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
In interesting paradox ... this time last year I was headed down the Smugmug or Zenfolio route while Don had excellent information on how to self host with Wordpress, and a year later we've both reversed. :) I still wish I had Don's Wordpress skills!

Does Wordpress allow an outside company to print photos for sales, or is it more of a way to show off portfolios without sales?

Does Wordpress allow an outside company to print photos for sales, or is it more of a way to show off portfolios without sales?

There are plugins that give that functionality. Some are free and some are expensive. If I am going to pay then I had rather go with a all in one solution like Zenfolio or SmugMug

RocketCowboy

I'm going with NextGen Pro Gallery, which includes the eCommerce functionality that I think I was using with Zenfolio. I can create proofing galleries, add a price list, provide digital downloads, password protected galleries, etc. It also has the payment integrations with Paypal, which is what I was using through Zenfolio. With Zenfolio, I didn't have orders go straight to the lab for processing, because I wanted to remove my watermark from prints, but leave it on digital downloads. With NextGen Pro, it looks like I can have the gallery add the watermark to downloads, so all I need to do to print is export from Lightroom to the lab and ship from there. I don't see it being any more work than what I had to put in with Zenfolio, but it costs me less and I don't have Zenfolio trying to market their own products to my customers.

I'm going with NextGen Pro Gallery, which includes the eCommerce functionality that I think I was using with Zenfolio. I can create proofing galleries, add a price list, provide digital downloads, password protected galleries, etc. It also has the payment integrations with Paypal, which is what I was using through Zenfolio. With Zenfolio, I didn't have orders go straight to the lab for processing, because I wanted to remove my watermark from prints, but leave it on digital downloads. With NextGen Pro, it looks like I can have the gallery add the watermark to downloads, so all I need to do to print is export from Lightroom to the lab and ship from there. I don't see it being any more work than what I had to put in with Zenfolio, but it costs me less and I don't have Zenfolio trying to market their own products to my customers.

Can't wait to see it. Be sure to send me the link

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
I'm going with NextGen Pro Gallery, which includes the eCommerce functionality that I think I was using with Zenfolio. I can create proofing galleries, add a price list, provide digital downloads, password protected galleries, etc.

Am I reading this right--it allows customers to privately view their galleries so those photos aren't public?

RocketCowboy

Am I reading this right--it allows customers to privately view their galleries so those photos aren't public?

Exactly. You can set whether a gallery is public or private. Zenfolio provides an option to expire a gallery as well, regardless of whether it's public or private, so that I can automate things like a gallery will only be available 30-60 days after the event. I haven't seen whether NextGen Pro will do that as well, but it's a nice feature to have in addition to the other two.