where is nikon heading?

mikew_RIP

I'm going to throw out there that I think Nikon has too many DSLR camera lines going. Think about it:

D3300
D5500
D7200
D610
D750
D810
Df
D4

Do they REALLY need 8 different lines? And it's even worse than that, because the D7100 is still in production, I think, even though the D7200 is out. It just adds to the "DSLRs are confusing", because even buying one is a mess. As a D7000 owner, for example, I'm not sure which full frame camera would be the logical jump for me (note, I'm not planning to make that jump any time soon), because there are too many options that don't seem to have major differences.

It looks like even more when you consider how many other models are still available new.

Woodyg3

Contributor
I'm going to throw out there that I think Nikon has too many DSLR camera lines going. Think about it:

D3300
D5500
D7200
D610
D750
D810
Df
D4

Do they REALLY need 8 different lines? And it's even worse than that, because the D7100 is still in production, I think, even though the D7200 is out. It just adds to the "DSLRs are confusing", because even buying one is a mess. As a D7000 owner, for example, I'm not sure which full frame camera would be the logical jump for me (note, I'm not planning to make that jump any time soon), because there are too many options that don't seem to have major differences.

I will play devil's advocate here and say I think they should have this many models. Partly for maketing, of course, but it really is a practical line up IMO. You have entry, mid and advanced models for both the FX and DX line-up with the D3300/5500/7200 and D610/750/810. Then you have the D4 for pro sports/journalists which is very specialized, but which is also a model that Nikon needs to have out there. The Df is a quirky model for the enthusiast who wants something different.

There are those who think Nikon should have even another DX model out there that can compete with Canon's D7 Mk II. Others think it would be cool to have a less expensive Beginner" FX body. The list could go on and on.

Also, if Nikon cut the number of DSLR models, there would be plenty of people screaming that Nikon was not fully supporting DSLR users anymore. There would be rumors that the DSLR was soon to die out. There would be darkness and uncertainty in the world! :)

Pretzel

I will play devil's advocate here and say I think they should have this many models. Partly for maketing, of course, but it really is a practical line up IMO. You have entry, mid and advanced models for both the FX and DX line-up with the D3300/5500/7200 and D610/750/810. Then you have the D4 for pro sports/journalists which is very specialized, but which is also a model that Nikon needs to have out there. The Df is a quirky model for the enthusiast who wants something different.

There are those who think Nikon should have even another DX model out there that can compete with Canon's D7 Mk II. Others think it would be cool to have a less expensive Beginner" FX body. The list could go on and on.

Also, if Nikon cut the number of DSLR models, there would be plenty of people screaming that Nikon was not fully supporting DSLR users anymore. There would be rumors that the DSLR was soon to die out. There would be darkness and uncertainty in the world! :)

Agreed, I think the line-up of entry/mid/advance for DX and FX is a nice presence, but they need to quit coming up with partial upgrades with each model release, IMO. Change the build a bit so firmware can add or improve features, and make each upgrade a more significant improvement instead of just a "fix" for the problems with the last model (ref. D610 shutter, D7200 buffer, etc). I think the D750 was quite a nice release, just for the record...

THEN, get a bit more competitive with the lenses. Start offering some price points that go after the 3rd parties a bit... you don't have to match their prices, but at least make it more competitive in the quality vs. cost ratio. When I'm considering a nice wide angle zoom, or a 105mm macro, there should be something out there that screams "spend a few extra bucks and get this superior lens" to me. All just IMO, of course, as the average consumer.

Maybe you take a hit in the ol' pocket for a bit, but if you re-establish yourself as the brand "to be desired", the paybacks stretch out through the next generation and beyond.

AC016

Something to think about: Canon has about the same number of DSLR models as does Nikon, give or take. Why does Canon outsell Nikon all the time? Hint: i see more Canon ads here on Nikonites, then i do Nikon ads.....

J-see

Canon has always been a solid brand. I know enough people that shoot Canon because it's Canon and are clueless about most of the technical side. But it's Canon you know.

Woodyg3

Contributor
...Change the build a bit so firmware can add or improve features, and make each upgrade a more significant improvement instead of just a "fix" for the problems with the last model (ref. D610 shutter, D7200 buffer, etc)...

I certainly agree, but I also think there are probably engineers at Nikon who are working as best they can and there are certain technologies that they haven't been able to get into production yet.

...Start offering some price points that go after the 3rd parties a bit... you don't have to match their prices, but at least make it more competitive in the quality vs. cost ratio. When I'm considering a nice wide angle zoom, or a 105mm macro, there should be something out there that screams "spend a few extra bucks and get this superior lens" to me. All just IMO, of course, as the average consumer.

I agree here, too. Nikon has some good,basic consumer lenses, but they need to compete with Tamron, Tokina and Sigma with primes and specialty zooms. I would like to have the Nikon 10-24, but will likely opt for a Tokina WA zoom that has very nearly the same quality at a significantly lower price. Heck, Nikon also needs to compete with Canon in the lens market. There are a lot of sports/wildlife guys shooting Canon bodies because of the great 400mm f/5.6 lens that Canon offers at a very reasonable price.

skater

Fair enough, but if profit is a problem, as the original post posited, building 8 camera bodies (plus the D7100s and other older models that are still in production) seems like a hard way to accomplish a profitable business. I don't have the data to crunch the numbers, but I bet a "low" and "high" in the 4-digit and 3-digit models would suffice, plus the D4. Not sure about the Df, it's kind of a weird duck. The prior versions of the cameras they still manufacture could serve as "in between" models.

So, no different than it is now. ;)

Woodyg3

Contributor
Fair enough, but if profit is a problem, as the original post posited, building 8 camera bodies (plus the D7100s and other older models that are still in production) seems like a hard way to accomplish a profitable business...

Consumers like a lot of choices, from car models to different kinds of hamburgers on the resteraunt menu.

So, no different than it is now. ;)

LOL. Fair enough! :)

SHAkers718

Something to think about: Canon has about the same number of DSLR models as does Nikon, give or take. Why does Canon outsell Nikon all the time? Hint: i see more Canon ads here on Nikonites, then i do Nikon ads.....

Andre Agassi ;) andre-agassi.jpg

Whiskeyman

You just can't beat those Canon commercials of the '90's

That ad made me glad I didn't have a Canon.

When is the last time you heard a Nikon user sell the Nikon brand? I hear it from Canon owners all of the time, even though they have their own issues with Canon equipment, as well. And a lot of them readily talk bad about Nikon. When is the last time you've heard a Nikon user/owner bash Canon?

WM

RON_RIP

That ad made me glad I didn't have a Canon.

When is the last time you heard a Nikon user sell the Nikon brand? I hear it from Canon owners all of the time, even though they have their own issues with Canon equipment, as well. And a lot of them readily talk bad about Nikon. When is the last time you've heard a Nikon user/owner bash Canon?

WM
I never speak badly about Canon. I love my Canon printer. If your talking about Canon cameras, i was not aware they made cameras. Why would they do that when we have Nikon?:playful:

mikeh32217

The thing that mainly concerns me is we still have pictures from when we where young on photo paper and the old development process more or less forced us into it but we have them for posterity. The pictures that are being taken now will be gone without any record same with books.
Kids growing up now won't have much to remember when they get older unless they've printed them.

Shame!