What's the best nikon camera for photography?

Curt

I have a D7000 and I love it. I know some people are having problems with it, but I can say I have had no problems and it works fantastic.

Browncoat

The "best" Nikon camera for photography is the D3X. That's why it's at the top of the heap and costs $7,000.

Argue one way or the other for different models, but the fact remains that if you want the best, it's the one that pulls out all the stops and is of the highest quality. This is one of those threads that never gets anywhere because there is no "best" anything, there's only "best for you".

theregsy

I agree with what everyone has already stated, its the photographer not the camera. Unless you need higher specifications for difficult shooting conditions, higher ISO for low light or fast burst rate for sports photography then the D3000 is a great camera, and should be good enough for what you need. Good luck :)

silvertip

Like Anthony said the best Nikon is the DX3, but along the same line you most likely won't put a $200 lens on it either. Not to say that the $200 lens will not do a good job but a $6000 lens will be better. Knowledge and technique and the 12 inches behind the view finder are more important than the camera and lens. Who needs a $7000 body and a $6000 lens? I am very satisfied with my D200 and 18-55 lens. Most of the time I would rather have my 18-55 on the camera than my 24-70 f2.8.
Really enjoy these discussions!!

Sambr

Like Anthony said the best Nikon is the DX3, but along the same line you most likely won't put a $200 lens on it either. Not to say that the $200 lens will not do a good job but a $6000 lens will be better. Knowledge and technique and the 12 inches behind the view finder are more important than the camera and lens. Who needs a $7000 body and a $6000 lens? I am very satisfied with my D200 and 18-55 lens. Most of the time I would rather have my 18-55 on the camera than my 24-70 f2.8.
Really enjoy these discussions!!

Amen :)

fotojack

I have the D200 also, and I absolutely love it! This is the one that's best for me. I also just picked up a D40. Why? Because it's a damn good camera!

kayte

I have a d80 and before that a d40 and I took some awesome photos. But then again, I am always reading up on how to do better bother at the time I take photos or if I need to PP on them (most likely I do- I'm an artist at the end of the day and want something others will want to post on their walls)

evisphoto

Any of the Nikon Dslr's mention is up to the task of doing portraiture. The thing that should really be looked at is getting some world class glass. And you don't have to spend a lot of money to get it. The 50 1.8G is perfect for portraits (I can recommend the 1.4 if you can swing the cost), and the 35 1.8G is good for not so tight portraits. Not all that much money at all, but will make a world of difference.

Last edited by a moderator:

foo4you

I can see how the d3000 would be limiting if you want full manual control at your finger tips (with dials, rather than going into the menu). Being from the NW I really value good low light performance (even my D7000 can be limiting here) BUT I completely agree that if your experience/skill has not brought you to the point where you understand or recognize these issues in your work then keep shooting with the D3000. Shoot until you outgrow it. I shot with a D40 for 2 years AND even then I recognized the limitations but waited, knowing I would continue to grow. When I was ready to upgrade I set a budget and did a lot of research. I ended up with the D7000 because for the price it was a no-brainer...also because it has the motor arm to automate older lenses. Now I am ready to upgrade again (need better performance at higher ISO) but I am holding off...not quite convinced the D800 is the right one for me. Bide your time and grow your skill, then make the leap to the next body. In the meantime it never hurts to invest in good lenses (although I would stick to FX compatible lenses if you think you will go with an FX body later)