What lens do you use the most with your D7000 ??

ideacipher

It looks awesome and no creep which is another thing I didn't like about the 18-200 but I didn't shoot he 2nd version but think even then you can only lock at 18 but I might be wrong about that. After completing the wide angle zoom, normal prime, short tele prime, and tele zoom collection the 55-200 is the next to get upgraded. Was thinking about a 105 macro but most of my macro stuff is in bug season so plenty of time. Sorry Iceman for hopping on your post but I was in the same boat. And BTW the 55-200 although cheep is a nice piece of glass. The extra 100mm is very tempting though.

grandpaw

The original post ask what lens you use the most and I answered that question for the lenses I have in an earlier reply. This seems to have turned into a "I would recommend this lens thread". There is two very important pieces of information that have not even been mentioned and before I would recommend a additional lens I would want to know two things. First, what is your budget and second, what kind of subjects do you plan to shoot? Knowing what others find as useful lenses is an interesting question but I don't see how it helps you out that much. If you tell us what you would like to be able to take pictures of in the future and what your budget is we might be able to give you some helpful information that YOU might benefit from. Not knowing these answers yet if I were to have to make a suggestion I would go with the Nikon 70-300VR lens. I also own one of these and think that it would compliment the 18-105 pretty well. As I have said I do own this lens and it works very well and is fairly sharp. I also have the Nikon 18-200VR and like it a lot but don't think it would add much to what you already have.

I just want to add that the Nikon 70-300VR will also work on FX cameras as well just in case you move up to one somewhere down the road it will still be able to be used without having to be replaced.

Last edited:

iceman55

The original post ask what lens you use the most and I answered that question for the lenses I have in an earlier reply. This seems to have turned into a "I would recommend this lens thread". There is two very important pieces of information that have not even been mentioned and before I would recommend a additional lens I would want to know two things. First, what is your budget and second, what kind of subjects do you plan to shoot? Knowing what others find as useful lenses is an interesting question but I don't see how it helps you out that much. If you tell us what you would like to be able to take pictures of in the future and what your budget is we might be able to give you some helpful information that YOU might benefit from. Not knowing these answers yet if I were to have to make a suggestion I would go with the Nikon 70-300VR lens. I also own one of these and think that it would compliment the 18-105 pretty well. As I have said I do own this lens and it works very well and is fairly sharp. I also have the Nikon 18-200VR and like it a lot but don't think it would add much to what you already have.

I just want to add that the Nikon 70-300VR will also work on FX cameras as well just in case you move up to one somewhere down the road it will still be able to be used without having to be replaced.

Thanks for the replies guys...

Grandpaw...
To answer your questions I shoot a little bit of everything,people,nature,wildlife etc. basically anything that catches my attention.I really wanted the 70-300 but it was a little out of my budget right now which basically means I would of had to save for it (which I hate doing ) Anyway,.I just picked up the 55-200 for only $249 whereas the 70-300 was close to 600...I would like to build a nice collection of lenses and I realize that will take some time & alot of money (why cant I just hit the damn powerball !!) Next up is a 35 or 50 1.8...from what people say, they are excellent. Thanks again

ideacipher

iceman55 I think you will enjoy the 55-200. It's light and will give you a little longer range than the 18-105. It is very sharp at least the one I have is. One thing that may be hard to get used to is the focus ring. Not sure if you manual focus much but this lens has the smallest focus ring I have ever used. Also you have to physically switch it to manual before you can move the ring. Other than that very nice lens great optics and I love the weight as I don't shot much in this range so putting it in the bag isn't going to add much carry weight. Filters are cheep so thats a plus. Not the fastest lens on the street but unless you have a lot of money to spend in this range you are about as fast as it is going to be.

The 35 and 50 are a great combo. The 35 I'm still getting used to but it's growing on me. I bought the 50 first but again that depends on what you shoot. Most people find the 35 to be the first buy since it is very close to normal on dx and then get the short tele 50 next.

Do you shoot a lot in the 18mm range and find that you would like a bit wider? For me 18 wasn't wide enough but 200 I could crop when needed. It all depends on your shooting and since you are all over the place. You should look at all your photos and map them out by focal range. I wrote a bash script that does this and can look for it if your interested. There is software that does this for you as well not sure what you have installed.

stmv

Now that I picked up the 18x200, I'll keep that on for a while.. before that, I have been using the 24-85 a fair amount on the 7000.

I tend to use zooms on my 7000, and primes on 800. but that is more because I use my 7000 as a more casual camera, and the zooms work best for the casual shooting..

If the 7000 was my primary, then I suspect it would vary from the 28 to 85 primes depending on the situations.

Camera Fun

I use my 18-105 the vast majority of time. I did get a Tamron 70-300 this past summer but haven't used it much yet; hope to use it some more in the future.