What lens do I need now.

Moab Man

Interesting. I did not know this about the D7100. I wonder why Nikon did that? As you said post shot cropping makes more sense.

The in camera crop mode is something that at first you tend to not use so much. However, it is a great function when shooting distant things like sports, birds, etc... often times it's enough that I don't have to crop in post. It really grew on me.

Scott Murray

I presently have the:
D7100
Nikon 18-140 Zoom
Nikon 55-200
Nikon 40mm Macro

I like all three of these lenses but I want a little more reach than the 200 offers. I would like to go to 300 with a zoom. Without going overboard on your suggestions what are some of the options I have. Does not have to be be Nikon brand. Want at least as good of quality as the 55-200 I have now. Do not suggest lenses that cost a bundle of money. I want affordable lenses.

For the extra reach I suggest this lens :cool: it doesn't cost a bundle of money only a house or two :p

918849.jpg

Bukitimah

What you need depends on what you are planning to do/shoot. I am currently traveling in Scotland and brought all I had. 99.9% of the time, only my Tamron 17-50 is on my camera. I should have traded carrying all the lenses with tripod.

What you need depends on what you are planning to do/shoot. I am currently traveling in Scotland and brought all I had. 99.9% of the time, only my Tamron 17-50 is on my camera. I should have traded carrying all the lenses with tripod.

I have the 18-140 that already covers this range and it is a good walk around lens but I specifically want the reach of the 300mm for what I am shooting. In this case it will be wildlife in the Okefenokee Swamp and later in the Zoo.

you can't go wrong with the afs 55-300 nikon .
refurb at cameta has a one year warranty .
the vr works pretty good
handheld at 300 does alright.
View attachment 76481

this was handheld out of a moving car window with a d5100 and 55-300 afs lens

239 greenbacks refurbed

Nikon 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR DX AF-S ED Zoom-Nikkor Lens - Factory Refurbished includes Full 1 Year Warranty

I did look at the 55-300 but the 70-300 got better reviews. I think mainly since it is a FX lens and the 55-300 is a DX lens.

aroy

I have the 18-140 that already covers this range and it is a good walk around lens but I specifically want the reach of the 300mm for what I am shooting. In this case it will be wildlife in the Okefenokee Swamp and later in the Zoo.
In that case forget zooms. Get the 300mmF4. Add the TC1.4 and you are well set for wild life shots.

In that case forget zooms. Get the 300mmF4. Add the TC1.4 and you are well set for wild life shots.

Way to limiting for the way I shoot. Sometimes 300mm is just to long. I am really worried that the 70mm end may not be wide enough. And I am not about to change lenses in a boat in the middle of a swamp. The long lens may work great for what you shoot but it is not for everyone.

SkvLTD

I'd +1 to 70-300 VR. the, "105" end really isn't too bad especially with wildlife and 300 end is usually excellent. It even works for bugs much better than you'd think and I posted plenty shots over the summer.

These were all cropped to some degree from what I recall, but you wouldn't have to shave that much off. And with 24mp, its even less of an issue.

Else, I'd consider some kind of fast prime unless you do 0 low-light stuff.

Pretzel

I just ordered the Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR

I think it will do what I want. I am going to the Okefenokee Swamp later this month for a private guided tour and wanted something with a little more reach. Also in my zoo shots I have not been able to get the close up that I want.

That lens is on my camera a LOT, and I think you're gonna love it! It's a pretty good action shooter in good lighting, too. Got a lot of HIGH QUALITY shots from the local Scottish Games while still being far enough back to avoid getting slaughtered by flying heavy objects. ;) All of my closer moon shots have been taken hand-held with that lens, too.