What is your favorite photo editing software ??

piperbarb

I think we all have different needs when it comes to post processing software. Some people really like to do all sorts of tweaking afterwards, while others don't, and then there are those in between. When people start to look at the software that will work best for them, they have to take into consideration what type of photos they take, how much post processing they plan to do, and what they expect from the final result. Also, what OS they are using and how much they can budget for hardware & software.

For me, on my Mac, I usually use ViewNX2 for uploading and basic exposure/cropping/etc. tasks. If I need more, I will use Photoshop Elements. Also, I do use Darktable, Aftershot Pro and Gimp because they work on both my Mac and Linux systems. Since I am not a Windows user, I have to consider what works on my systems. These applications fit my needs and the way I take photos. I have never been someone who did a lot of extra stuff when I worked in the darkroom. It would be the basic cropping, dodging/burning and using different types of papers to get the effect I wanted. I guess you can call me a minimalist photographer when it comes to post processing.

All we can do is offer suggestions to the OP. He will have to decide, based on his needs, what works best. I've spent a lot of time and in some cases, money, on software that, in the end, worked or did not work for the results I wanted.

Carroll

(You are going to get a lot of answers on this question, I think!) :biggrin-new:

Well, for free, Nikon ViewNX 2 does a good job, in my opinion. You may have this already installed on your computer? If not, the latest model is a free download from Nikon.

I use ViewNX 2 to upload from my camera, using the USB cord supplied. (Using your memory card in a reader will do the same) The images are uploaded into ViewNX 2. I click on the image that I want to edit, so that it comes up in it's own window, and then click on "edit" at the top of that window (page), and I am automatically in the .nef edit program....it is not hard to figure out. I think it is a pretty good program.

Well I shot my first RAW image today... :)

Now I need to know what to use to process it...that is free...any ideas??? LOL

Last edited:

Carroll

For what it is worth, my very favorite PP software is Silver Efex Pro 2. (Practicing with the rest of the NIK suite...) Next is Photoshop, then Lightroom.

Those three in my humble opinion, are the cat's meow! This, however, suits me for what I do and what I expect from editing software. Like many on this forum, I have tried, and own many different editing programs. Not going to list them all...

I tell my prospective remodeling customers that *anything* is possible with their home. Anything. It just takes two things: Time and Money. PP software is sorta the same... :rolleyes:

LensWork

It appears that this thread had degraded into some sort of competition between NX2, PS & LR with each having their merits preferred by some. I applaud the recent comments that point out that it is up to each individual's preference and that there is no singular software that provides the right solution for every user.

I will make a couple of final observations:

Yes, LR has the ability to remove dust spots. Here is a quick tutorial on how to do it and how to save the settings so that you can just press a button on new photos - How to Remove Sensor Dust With Lightroom

Yes, it is possible to in many cases manually fix sensor dust spot issues with LR on a single image then save those adjustments and apply them in a batch to other images. My point of contention was that one post proclaimed that Adobe software can do everything that Nikon software can do and do it more efficiently. Manually repairing a single image and then applying those same repairs to multiple images with possibly varying success dependent upon those areas that have been repaired having very similar image data surrounding the repaired area(s) as the first repaired image hardly seems as efficient as the Auto Dust Off feature in NX2, which because it maps the spots from a plain white background is independent of subject matter.

As for your Florida friend, it's just so subjective as to the look but I can guarantee you 100% that Adobe has "cracked" the D800 NEF files completely and at no time were they stuck on it.

First, the photog you reference is not a friend, and I never stated such. I was present at the transaction involving the return of the D800 and heard her explanation of the issue first-hand. I also have additional knowledge that she subsequently did further research on the issue and it was confirmed that the "soft" issue was mentioned by others who were attempting to open NEF D800 files in non-Nikon software. When the sames files were opened in NX2, owners reported that the images were everything they would expect from a 36MP camera.

Not being able to open NEF files, or opening them at a reduced resolution (in the case of the first ACR update intended to function with the D800) is not a subjective matter at all. It either works, or it does not. With every new Nikon DSLR it often takes weeks, or even months, before 3rd-party software applications are able to open (correctly) the corresponding new NEF files. Updates to View and Capture NX2 are available for free download the day a new model ships. I never implied that Adobe was "stuck" not being able to open D800 raw files. The reduced resolution issue that was present on the first ACR update after the D800 release was resolved over time, and I noted so.

Last edited:

Eye-level

Banned
Well I hope someone has it figured out for the D5000 because I am fixing to play with RAW! LOL

I'd stab this one in the neck moderator boys and girls because it is done... :)

Marcel

Happily retired
Staff member
Super Mod
Well I hope someone has it figured out for the D5000 because I am fixing to play with RAW! LOL

I'd stab this one in the neck moderator boys and girls because it is done... :)

Well Jeff, software being what it is, there seems to be a few programs that get the general favours. Lightroom, Photoshop, Aperture (for those on Mac). They probably do very similar things "once you get to know how they work". The problem is you've got to invest some time to learn them. And the trial version doesn't always give you enough time to learn, but it can give you a fair deal to let you know how "at ease" you fell with them. So I'd suggest you download trial versions and give a few of them a spin to see which one YOU prefer. Then you can decide on the best way to get it. But they don't come free... even someone gives one to you, you'll have to invest in the learning. And only after you learn them well do they become fun to use.

​Enjoy your Nikon!

crashton

I think we all have different needs when it comes to post processing software. Some people really like to do all sorts of tweaking afterwards, while others don't, and then there are those in between. When people start to look at the software that will work best for them, they have to take into consideration what type of photos they take, how much post processing they plan to do, and what they expect from the final result. Also, what OS they are using and how much they can budget for hardware & software.

This ^^^

And this ^^^

My take is everyone has their favorite program & workflow that does what they need. Not everyone needs or wants the same thing. Sort of like the old days when some folks souped in D76 while others loved Microdol & other developers. Same for the papers we printed on. We all made wonderful photos as we strive to do now. Many different electronic developers to use today. They all do a fine job. One size does not fit all.

I still like ACDsee Pro6 & in this contest it's a distant last place, but works for me. :)

Mabvith

Irfanview for quickly viewing RAW files, Lightroom 3.6 for processing and sometimes Paintshop Pro 9 for anything that needs layers or other fancy stuff.

Happypuppy

I start with Aftershot ( was another product before Corel acquired it ) and go to Lightroom. Where I catalog and do some minor tweaks if needed

SilanTra ZaiDi

anyone uses Instagram?? LOL...

my fav is photoshop with camera raw...so far doing good... Nikon NX consumed more memories and resources from my laptop... make it too slow ... in bridge i still have time doing multiple edits and what not...

daveg

I have worked with CNX2 since it was Capture 4 and I got my first DSLR - the new (at that time) D70.

I think of it as a RAW Converter just as ACR is a RAW Converter and not as the equivalent of CSx or Lightroom or whatever.

I worked with it to develop a workflow which does not require that I send TIFFs elsewhere for finishing and I am pretty much where I want to be.

ACR has its versions of Neutral, Standard etc but they purely Adobe Versions and not the same as my D600 versions.

CNX2 is, at present, the ONLY SW which recognises the in-camera settings and not simulate them.

CNX2 is the only SW which will recognise/apply the Distortion Control Settings Automatically when they are set in camera.

I'll stick with it as long as I have a Nikon DSLR. Updates continue to appear (from Nkon) for new cameras so I don't think that it's going to die for a while yet.

DG