What Is Your Favorite Lens For DX? Which Is Your Favorite For FX? Why?

wornish

FX I only have the 28-300, so it has to be my favourite. I dont intend buying anything but an ultrawide for the FX for a year, then I will know which focal length I use the most, and thats the lens I will invest the most money in :)

Thats exactly what I did. Started with the 28-300 to see what I used he most, then went for the nifty 50 f/1.8.

Chito

It's my Sigma 17-70mm. It's great for a carry around lens. Otherwise it's either the 35mm F1.8 or the nikon 70-200mm

Bill16

For me my Nikkor AF 105mm f/2.8 D is my favorite since I love macro! But I'm coming to really like my Nikkor AF 80-400 f/4.5-5.6 ed D lens! All my lenses are FX, so I can't say what DX lens I'd like on my DX D300. :)
I'm not sure yet what my favorite lens will be for my D700! I'm looking forward to finding out as time goes by! Lol :)

Last edited:

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
My favorite lens is the one that captures the image in my mind's eye. ;)

I've never had a favorite lens--most of the time I carry my 24-70mm and my 70-300mm along with a 3rd lens (which varies from outing to outing). I *can* fit a 4th lens into my bag and at times do so. My bag is a Tamrac shoulder bag that converts to a waist pack. Makes it much easier to go long distances without any discomfort. Invariably I change lenses at least once each time I'm out--and I try to do so inside my car whenever possible.

I haven't used my 14mm or my 18-35mm often enough to develop my wide angle skills, but that's where my interest lies. For some reason, wide angle shots really capture my attention. :)

'bini

The Sigma 18-35 f1.8 for DX. Very sharp, covers my usual shooting range, is excellent for night sky and is f1.8 throughout it's (admittedly short) range. Allows out of focus backgrounds nearly as good as the old days with 35mm film.

J-see

But you haven't got you 150-600 yet :D

I must admit I'm liking the 150-600 too. ;) I love it how I am able to really pick something out. But she's a bit bulky as a walk around lens; especially when walking the dogs.

Still, she's become my number two in the harem.

SteveH

My favourite is the 35mm F1.8 - The 18-55mm kit lens has only been used once since I bought the 35mm. A very close second is the Sigma 8-16mm ultra wide.... Just because it's so amazingly wide!

My favourite has changed... I have RUINED myself by renting the Nikkor 70-200 F2.8... I need this lens in my life permanently! :eek:

alex6speed

My favourite has changed... I have RUINED myself by renting the Nikkor 70-200 F2.8... I need this lens in my life permanently! :eek:

Any of the "trinity" lens are beautiful! I fell in love with the Nikkor 24-70 f2.8 myself. Such a great all around piece of glass.

SteveH

Any of the "trinity" lens are beautiful! I fell in love with the Nikkor 24-70 f2.8 myself. Such a great all around piece of glass.

Yep, and sadly the lens has to go back in 5 days... On the up side, tonight is the night I rented it for - A posh school's nativity in the city cathedral (Can you think of a darker place to hold a play than a cathedral at night???)

jay_dean

If youre shooting in DX, the VRI is apparently as good, or certainly nearly as good, and doesn't suffer the really bad focus breathing issue that the VRII does. Might be worth looking at as a cheaper option??

Michael J.

I have to correct my state,ants I made earlier - I love every lens which is on my camera mounted. Every lens does its great job for what I need and that is the reason why I bought them. More and more I love my gears and the help me to discover how much more potential is hidden in me using them all.

sonicbuffalo_RIP

Yep, and sadly the lens has to go back in 5 days... On the up side, tonight is the night I rented it for - A posh school's nativity in the city cathedral (Can you think of a darker place to hold a play than a cathedral at night???)

Good luck with your shots tonight! Hope you get a bunch of keepers!

SteveH

Good luck with your shots tonight! Hope you get a bunch of keepers!

Cheers Chris, it did go well! The best shots were from the dressed rehersal when I could move around more without being in the way of parents, but last night was good to get candid shots of people faces when their kids started singing & dancing :). Unfortunately, being a school nativity, I can't share any of the shots, but I took some of the set with no people, and I'll pop them up later in another thread.