What is the best gimbal tripod head?

bandit993

What gimbal head do you suggest Bill16 for that lens / camera combo? I don't want to spend a huge amount of money if I don't have too.

Bill16

Oh then a cheaper one like I currently have is a Beike brand would be a good one to try out to see if you like a gimbal for that lens!
Over time if you like a gimbal you might want to go with a better more expensive brand, but I don't think that lens and camera weight will be a problem for nearly any gimbal that I have looked at! :)

What gimbal head do you suggest Bill16 for that lens / camera combo? I don't want to spend a huge amount of money if I don't have too.

Bill16

@bandit993 you might find it more of a pain in the butt than a help if you switch focal range much. The gimbal is all about balance, and I think more designed for huge prime lenses. So if you can try one out from a friend, you might save a bit of cash if you don't like it for that lens and camera combo!

mikew_RIP

I have a sigma 150-600 C and was thinking of a gimbal head for that. My camera is a D7200. What are your ideas for that combo? I am thinking a Manfrotto 055xpro3 tripod to put it on.

As i said somewhere i bought cheap as i knew i wouldn't use it much,this is the one i bought and for the money its great,it will balance with most lenses if you adjust the height and quick release plate correctly (i use it with a 150-600) its nylon sleeves instead of bearings to keep the costs down but still very smooth,i guess it just will not last as long.
If i replace it i think it would be a carbon fiber one.

BEIKE BK-45 360° Swivel Panoramic Gimbal Tripod Head for Camera Telephoto Lens | eBay

Bill16

The link is to one like I currently have! Lol :)

As i said somewhere i bought cheap as i knew i wouldn't use it much,this is the one i bought and for the money its great,it will balance with most lenses if you adjust the height and quick release plate correctly (i use it with a 150-600) its nylon sleeves instead of bearings to keep the costs down but still very smooth,i guess it just will not last as long.
If i replace it i think it would be a carbon fiber one.

BEIKE BK-45 360° Swivel Panoramic Gimbal Tripod Head for Camera Telephoto Lens | eBay

pforsell

I think his comment stems from the fact that your experience level is listed newbie. You might want to change it under your settings. ;)

Hmmm... I thought that's some kind of forum karma setting that changes as the number of posts goes up or something. Haven't paid much attention. :p

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Hmmm... I thought that's some kind of forum karma setting that changes as the number of posts goes up or something. Haven't paid much attention. :p

If you click on Settings near the top right of the page then once there look on the left side under My Settings and click on Edit Profile, that will take you to the page to make the change. I believe the default is Newbie.

bandit993

Thanks for your inputs. I spoke with some people yesterday that said a ball head would work fine with my camera/ lens combo. what a about a pan head. I know they seem to be more for video but what about for photography??

Roy1961

Contributor
question to those who use gimbals with a 150-600 (ish) zoom lens, what/how/where? do you set the balance too, is it set short, medium or long zoom?? or Is it not that critical, though guessing it would be, I can see it being set correct on a 600mm type lens.

I am thinking about getting one and wondered where to set the balance on my 50-500 sigma?

question to those who use gimbals with a 150-600 (ish) zoom lens, what/how/where? do you set the balance too, is it set short, medium or long zoom?? or Is it not that critical, though guessing it would be, I can see it being set correct on a 600mm type lens.

I am thinking about getting one and wondered where to set the balance on my 50-500 sigma?

I would set it outside since that is where you will be using it. ;)

nikonpup

question to those who use gimbals with a 150-600 (ish) zoom lens, what/how/where? Do you set the balance too, is it set short, medium or long zoom?? Or is it not that critical, though guessing it would be, i can see it being set correct on a 600mm type lens.

i have mine set for 600mm. When i am taking pictures and change the length
i have no problem with operation. If i end up a 150mm the balance point changes but not enough to damage lens or camera.