What is Lawrence up to - 2015?

Lawrence

Wear in your hiking boots ;)
Talking through your nose will not help you.

Only other thing I can say is don't panic too much regarding gear, what you don't have you probably don't need. And seeing as you are getting fit I may aswell include some lengthy extreme hikes in the agenda :p

There are levels of fitness and I am seriously concerned as to how much hiking we will be doing because my ankles and knees are no longer in showroom condition with my arthritis so we may have to include a horse or something I can use to keep up with you. It's not my lungs - its my legs!

Gear wise I think I am OK. Not the best glass in the world but should have most things covered with the 4 lenses I have. Widest I have is 18-105 so may be a bit short for those lovely star shots you are going to teach me all about. I do have a 35mm 1.8 prime ???? Time will tell. :)

Scott Murray

Its ok regarding fitness I can tailor the hikes to suit and who knows I may be able to drive to most places anyway. Bring that 35mm prime aswell ;)

Lawrence

For me, that's to much skin softening. But guess it's a matter of taste. I like the new crop :)

I have to agree with you Mai.

Funny how it is so easy to take it that little bit "too far" - often when I process it looks good and then the next day it looks overdone.

Tell me - should I just go back to golf? :)

RON_RIP

Were you any better at golf? Just buckle down a keep practicing that shot. You are almost there and we know you can do it. Still liking the b & w best. had her eyes been more open you would have had an absolute bingo.

Lawrence

Were you any better at golf? Just buckle down a keep practicing that shot. You are almost there and we know you can do it. Still liking the b & w best. had her eyes been more open you would have had an absolute bingo.

I could even start playing Bingo! :)

And yes I was pretty good at golf - getting down to a 7 handicap was my best ever. Not pro stuff but a reasonable level.

RON_RIP

Well unless you can frame your old scorecards, you can not leave behind a great body of work as you can in Photography. I only hope you are carefully archiving your work as you are on track to to produce some very good photos.

Lawrence

Well unless you can frame your old scorecards, you can not leave behind a great body of work as you can in Photography. I only hope you are carefully archiving your work as you are on track to to produce some very good photos.

Thanks Ron. I'd like to think I am and no I am not particularly carefully archiving it. I wouldn't know how. It is all simply in folders on my desktop.
That was another reason i didn't want to accept a challenge this year; I need to sort, label, tag etc. all the photos I have taken.

Last edited:

RON_RIP

You really do. My Aperture allows me to do that and I, of course , back everything up on a hard drive. i try and review and reassign, if necessary, every picture file i have every 6 months. it is tedious but helps me keep a handle on my best photos.

Vixen

I was going to send you an e-mail but seen as you want everything public ...

Yes I am preparing.

I have bought the hiking boots.
I have bought a new camera bag.
Just today ordered my new strap (courtesy @jdeg for me completing my 365/2014)
Am practising to speak through my nose so that I blend in
Walking every day with full pack to get reasonable fit
Practising my photography

But still lots to do.
Any advice??? :D

Wear your hiking boots in at home before you leave.
For these types of camping trips I found elastic sided boots eg Blundstones are the best footware. I would wear mine all the time (except when in bed). The elastic sides mean that if you need to get out of bed during the night, they are easy to just pull on. We have some pretty horrible burrs over here that will go thru a thong (jandels to you) or even sneaker sole.

Oh yeah...get some of those neoprene rubber shoes you wear for boating. You will want to be wearing those on the water at the beach (for paddling in) as safety against cone shell sting :D

Thanks for the suggestion re what to buy when I get my Amazon voucher. I couldn't think what to get :D

Lawrence

Wear your hiking boots in at home before you leave.
For these types of camping trips I found elastic sided boots eg Blundstones are the best footware. I would wear mine all the time (except when in bed). The elastic sides mean that if you need to get out of bed during the night, they are easy to just pull on. We have some pretty horrible burrs over here that will go thru a thong (jandels to you) or even sneaker sole.

Oh yeah...get some of those neoprene rubber shoes you wear for boating. You will want to be wearing those on the water at the beach (for paddling in) as safety against cone shell sting :D

Thanks for the suggestion re what to buy when I get my Amazon voucher. I couldn't think what to get :D

So everything over there really does kill you? I don't think Scott has any intention of taking me to the beach and thanks for the advice on the boots after the fact that I have bought them!!!

I set my sights on a decent strap on day one. Nice to have something as a memento of the longest year in human history! :)

Ironwood

Am practising to speak through my nose so that I blend in

Any advice??? :D
Talking through your nose won't help you over here, though it could be a handy skill to have at some of the places Scott will take you, as is learning to breathe through your ears ;).

The best advice I can give, is to start practicing swapping your vowels around when you speak, for example, over in Unzid, you might enjoy drinking tin tuns of beer with your fush and chups on a Friday night, but when you come over to Oz you will be drinking ten tins of beer with your fish and chips on any night of the week :D.

Good advice from Vixen there, those neoprene boots are very good for beachwalking.

So everything over there really does kill you? I don't think Scott has any intention of taking me to the beach and thanks for the advice on the boots after the fact that I have bought them!!!
I am sure Scott will take you to the beach, the Cape has some of the best beaches in Australia, and yes we have plenty of things that bite over here, you just have to bite them first :devilish:.

Vixen

:)

Hey....my pleasure :D I would hope that Scott will be taking you to the beach seeing as the Cape is girt on 3 sides by sea :D Oh .... and that is a clue.....you may need to know our National Anthem (or as sung by Aunty Jack "Land that is girt by sea on one side"" :D )

Last edited:

Ironwood

Hey....my pleasure :D I would hope that Scott will be taking you to the beach seeing as the Cape is girt on 3 sides by sea :D Oh .... and that is a clue.....you may need to know our National Anthem (or as sung by Aunty Jack "Land that is girt by sea on one side"" :D )

Aunty Jack, now that brings back some memories I used to love that show

Vixen

Me too. An old Aunty Jack/Norman Gunston fan from way back :D Made all the better by the fact that Wollongong was in my old teenage stomping grounds. I also loved Nude Radio on JJ back in the mid 70's

Scott Murray

Yes @Lawrence I will be taking you to the beach as there are plenty of beaches to see :) the only things you will need to worry about are: Crocodiles, Cone shells, Irakanji jellyfish, box jellyfish, sharks, snakes, scorpions, buffalo, razor backs, stone fish, scorpion fish, centipedes and that will do for now ;) those neoprene boots are a great idea. Watch out for blundstone boots as creepy crawlies like getting in them, I had a green tree frog in a work boot yesterday morning, much better than finding a scorpion, tarantula or the likes.

wud

I have to agree with you Mai.

Funny how it is so easy to take it that little bit "too far" - often when I process it looks good and then the next day it looks overdone.

Tell me - should I just go back to golf? :)

That will get easier! I've felt the same for a looooong time but actually think I'm finally getting better at it.
2 tips which helped me: turn the light on your computer screen all the way up minus 6 steps. If that can be done on your computer? That should be more or less a normal view, unless if your sitting in very bright sun of course.
If in doubt, look at another image you already have finished and back to the one you are editing. For me, that's really helps seeing what it is I have a problem with (in my post) which I couldn't put a finger on.

But skin is a bit difficult when you are so close. But unless she has bad skin, I'll say go for a retouch which no one will notice. Small dots/acne/whatever I clone away, if I retouch all skin, I do it in a separate layer and then turn visibility to 0 and slowly up from there. A little back, a little up. Until I get the look which looks natural :)

Lawrence

Still on the learning trail ...
Not a flattering photo of my daughter the morning after her hen's night but I was trying some blur in PS.
Wrong photo for this technique but it was fun.

Farris artistic.jpg

She's probably kill me if she saw this so no telling ... okay?