What I Don't Need (But Want Really Badly)

Whiskeyman

Actually, I do believe that it has been pointed out that the higher pixel-count sensor cameras will test the photographer's capabilities, especially when hand-holding the camera.

The density of the D7200 is higher than the D850; with the same pixel density as the D7200, the D850 (or any FX-format sensor) would have a 54.45 MP sensor. The D500's pixel density would be 47 MP on an FX sensor, also greater than the D850's. Any of these higher density sensors are very unforgiving of a non-stable shooting platform, and will expose camera and lens movement more readily than a lower-pixel-count sensor.

I would think that in this case, the exposure of shooting flaws would also exist. Maybe we should be incorporating these techniques suggested for the D850 for other cameras as well.

WM

Bikerbrent

I agree with Whiskeyman completely. When I first got my D7200 (moving up from a D200) I thought the camera was defective as the IQ was just not there. However, after a little more work, I found the defect was in my own shooting skills.

Stoshowicz

I agree as well,
The several cameras I have owned , each have their own quirks , and I needed to get used to them. Cropping in on a high pixel count camera with no OLPF means youre going to see artifact, like graininess ,, and in learning how to address that , I think one has an advantage learning, over a person who can't even see the hurdles to jump, (if you give yourself the time to, and change technique ,over time).

Whiskeyman

Well, to update y'all, I haven't purchased a 500 mm lens, and I've just really convinced myself that I shouldn't.

I'm now seriously considering sending my 300 mm lens to Nikon USA for service and a tuneup to ensure that it is operating at its peak. If Nikon can get it performing optimally, and I can then utilize the teleconverters I own with very good results, I will have a "600 mm f5.6 combo", as well as a "420 mm f4 combo". Before I send it to Nikon, though, I'm going to let a local shop take a look at it for sharpness. I'm also going to give it another series of tests, including with the FoCal autofocus tuning software.

If this works, I may spring for the TC-17 later, for a "510 mm f4.8 combo" and still have money left over for a D850 if I decide to get one later.

Good grief, I'm so wishy-washy!! Maybe I'll upgrade my tripod, too!! :p

WM

Last edited: