what flash should I save up for?

§am

The SB-700 or YN equivalents are probably the way to go forward.

The SB-300 IMO is now the bottom of the Nikon range as it's less capable than the SB-400, all be it it has a better bounce range (120deg compared to 90deg)

Steve B

Be careful with new ones at discounted prices. They are sometimes the ones that Nikon refers to as "imported" and the warranty can be less. For lenses the US versions have the 1 year US limited warranty plus the 4 year US extended warranty while the imported ones just have the 1 year international limited warranty. I have also heard that getting the imported ones serviced can be problematic although I have no personal experience with that.

Looking at the warranty card for my SB-910 it looks like for flashes the warrany is 1 year for both the US and the Intenational warranties. The problem with getting an imported flash serviced in the US probably still exists though. Just verify that the flash comes with a US warranty.

Last edited:

Steve B

Looking closer at the specs the SB-300 looks like it is a SB-N7 modified to work on Nikon DSLRs instead of the Nikon 1 cameras. Specs look almost identical.

donaldjledet

Be careful with new ones at discounted prices. They are sometimes the ones that Nikon refers to as "imported" and the warranty can be less. For lenses the US versions have the 1 year US limited warranty plus the 4 year US extended warranty while the imported ones just have the 1 year international limited warranty. I have also heard that getting the imported ones serviced can be problematic although I have no personal experience with that.

Looking at the warranty card for my SB-910 it looks like for flashes the warrany is 1 year for both the US and the Intenational warranties. The problem with getting an imported flash serviced in the US probably still exists though. Just verify that the flash comes with a US warranty.

SteveB I see you have the 10-24 Nikkor lens How do you like it?
Thinking of buying one. Do have any photos posted here on Nikonites withe the 10-24 lens?

singlerosa_RIP

I've acquired 3 used SB-800s over the past 10 years. The latest one arrived yesterday. It's in the price range of the 700. Easy to use as an on camera flash , but is less user friendly when you want to get more sophisticated with settings. When you learn how to use it, you'll appreciate its superiority over mid-level flashes. Better build quality (Japan), better performance and more capabilities. But, it would be "used". Caveat Emptor

Last edited:

WayneF

I've acquired 3 used SB-800s over the past 10 years. The latest one arrived yesterday. It's in the price range of the 700. Easy to use as an on camera flash , but is less user friendly when you want to get more sophisticated with settings. When you learn how to use it, you'll appreciate its superiority over mid-level flashes. Better build quality (Japan), better performance and more capabilities. But, it would be "used". Caveat Emptor

Amen!

John P

I would go Yongnuo without a doubt.
They have Ttl models also.
Hell you could buy 3 ttl yongnuo flashes for the price of 1 SB700

I was at a carshow over the weekend. They flew in a professional pinup photographer from California.
His yongnuos seemed to work just fine.
😉

Bill16

OK I'll keep the SB-700,SB-800, and the Yongnuo in mind when I have some money for a flash. I guess with Yongnuo brand only being a couple years old there wouldn't be a ton of info on the durability or quality over time. But the price seems great and apparently pros do use them, so they must work good.
Thank you everyone for all for sharing your knowledgeable advice with me! I appreciate it very much! :D

Tomfifield

Does the Yonguo work just like the Nikon flashes? I have an SB-800 and I would like another flash so I can have a fill light. I was looking at the SB-700 or the SB-910. If I got the SB-910 I would use it as the main light and the SB-800 a fill light. If the Yonguos work good a slaves and cost much less than I may be able to get two and use one for a back light as well. So are any off brands compatible with the nikon remote system?

John P

I can fire mine with my camera set in commander mode.
The user interface is waaaaaay easier than nikon speedlights.

WayneF

Does the Yonguo work just like the Nikon flashes?

Be aware that there are a few different Yongnuo models, with very different capabilities, so you absolutely must discuss specific models, and your goal, of what you want it to do.

To work with the Nikon Commander? Or to work as optical slaves or radio triggers, both manual flash?