Weekly Challenge OCT 19 - OCT 25: Radio(s)

Needa

Challenge Team
In lieu of Dangerspouse's choice (who wasn't able to be on the forum), this weekly challenge will be "Radio(s)".
Chosen to represent Dangerspouse's occupation.

AM/FM, CB, Ham, Two-Way, Radio Stations. etc and things like Antennas and Microphones
Let's see how creative you can be! Color, B&W, HDR...anything goes!

DO NOT SHOOT OR POST IMAGES UNTIL WEDNESDAY OCT 19
This early announcement of the topic is to give a little think time, before the challenge begins. Photos must be taken and submitted between 00:00 UTC of the start date and 23:59 UTC of the end date.

The Rules

1. Photos must be captured with a Nikon and appear in the thread with EXIF info in order to be considered for the challenge. If the forum EXIF viewer does not show for any reason, listing the camera and capture date/time below the photo is acceptable. Listing exposure info, lens & focal length is encouraged so others can learn.

2. Any photo submitted for a weekly challenge must be taken during the dates specified in the challenge thread.

3. Only one photo entry per member for each week, unless otherwise noted.

4. All regularly active members of Nikonites are allowed to participate, including moderators and administrators.

Voting

During the submission & like periods, please click the Thanks/Like button to vote for your favorite images. You can vote for as many as you want! At the end of the week, you will have the opportunity to vote again for the top 3 photos for this challenge!

There will be no cash or prizes awarded for the Weekly Photo Challenges, unless specifically noted by the site administrator.

Any photo will be accepted for the challenge. Edited or straight out of the camera, it does not matter. You are left with complete freedom to do whatever genre of photography you wish to do, and your own interpretation of the challenge subject.

nikonpup

darn, this was our local station where i grew up. 50's and 60's rock and roll only a couple hours a day. Seattle stations much better depending on weather and the radio in my 50 chevy.

710_1505-Edit.jpg

Bob Blaylock

An antique Motorola 10T28M radio, from the late 1950s.

ZSC_4630.4632.4634_hdr_GN.jpg

The green light just right of the dial is a magic tuning eye tube. The intensity and pattern of the way it lights up indicates how solidly the radio is tuned to a station.

Last edited:

Dangerspouse

That's some nice setup, Walt! (Looks like the same mic head as Bill's.) How's your tower specs?

:encouragement:

You ever listen to any of the old Jean Shepherd radio shows, by any chance?

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
That's some nice setup, Walt! (Looks like the same mic head as Bill's.) How's your tower specs?

:encouragement:

You ever listen to any of the old Jean Shepherd radio shows, by any chance?

Thanks Tom, I've been a ham since 1978, but I was not involved for probably 30 or so years. I became active again a few years ago and now I am getting "stuff" back together. I don't have a tower up yet, but a 40' is in the works and a 55' I have is in the future as money becomes available for a concrete base, etc. The Asatic D104 microphone is from the early days as is the green radio, Heathkit HW101, that I built when I started into ham radio.

Jean Shepherd, no I can't say that I have.

Dangerspouse

That's great! Good for you, I hope you get the Big Stick up eventually. They need to hear you all the way out to Rangoon!

Jean Shepherd was arguably the most gifted radio personality ever, an opinion held especially among radio announcers. You may know him from the movie "A Christmas Story", which was compiled from some of his short stories, and he also narrated the movie. He was a lifelong ham, starting in his youth - including during his stint in military where he was part of the Signal Corps. He often talked about it on the air.

Here's a clip from one of his shows on WOR (New York) talking about ham, and I chose it because he mentions he was using that exact same mic that you have: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akyTVNorXQ8

And if you run a YouTube search with "Jean Shepherd ham radio", you get a ton more :)

Needa

Challenge Team
Submission time is up! You now have a little less than 24 hours to like the photo(s) of your choice.