Weekly Challenge March 8-14 "Vintage/Classics”

Needa

Challenge Team
"Vintage/Classics” – Bob Blaylock Choice

Post a photo of something Vintage/Classics, things that are very old, and can considered to be “classic” in part, because of their age.
Let's see how creative you can be! Color, B&W, HDR...anything goes!

DO NOT SHOOT OR POST IMAGES UNTIL WEDNESDAY March 8th.
This early announcement of the topic is to give a little think time, before the challenge begins. Photos must be taken and submitted between 00:00 UTC of the start date and 23:59 UTC of the end date.

If the forum EXIF viewer does not show for any reason, listing the camera and capture date/time below the photo is acceptable. Listing exposure info, lens & focal length is encouraged so others can learn.

The Rules

1. Any photo submitted for the Weekly Photo Challenge must be taken using a Nikon Camera! Any photo submitted for a weekly challenge must be taken during the dates specified in the challenge thread and taken by YOU!

2. If the EXIF does not show using a browser EXIF app, listing the camera and capture date/time below the photo is required. Listing exposure info, lens & focal length is encouraged so others can learn.

3. Photos must be posted in this thread to be considered. Links to photos will not be considered an entry (In other words, no Flikr, Photobucket, or similar links)

4. Only one photo entry per member for each week, unless otherwise noted.

5. All regularly active members of Nikonites are allowed to participate, including moderators and administrators.

Voting

During the submission & like periods, please click the Thanks/Like button to vote for your favorite images. You can vote for as many as you want! At the end of the week, you will have the opportunity to vote again for the top 3 photos for this challenge!

There will be no cash or prizes awarded for the Weekly Photo Challenges, unless specifically noted by the site administrator.

Any photo will be accepted for the challenge. Edited or straight out of the camera, it does not matter. You are left with complete freedom to do whatever genre of photography you wish to do, and your own interpretation of the challenge subject.

Please note - Rule 2 changed.

Last edited:

Bob Blaylock

The lamps kind of have a vintage look to them, but they're not. My wife, Seanette got those at Walmart in 2012.

The radio, a Motorola 10T28M, I've been able to reliably date to about 1957 or 1958. It's a model that was built only during that time period, apparently just those two years.

The camera, sitting on top of the radio, is a Kodak Tourist II that used to belong to my late mother. Just now, trying to get a plausible date on it, I get a wider range, about 1951 through 1958. It might be possible to narrow that down, based on the lens/shutter combination. This one has the 105mm ƒ/6.3 Anaston lens and the Flash 200 shutter. Other instances of the Kodak Tourist II were made with other lenses and other shutters; I haven't found any information to date it based on those combinations, but it seems likely that some combinations may have been made only during certain narrower parts of the 1951-1958 range.

Eight shots went into this picture. I used my ancient 50mm ƒ/1.4 lens, mounted on my D3200, with a lightning bolt cutout on the front to shape the bokeh. This cutout effective reduced the aperture to ƒ/1.7.

Because I was shooting in close quarters, and trying to get a wider shot than this lens could take in at once, I took a 4×4 matrix of pictures, to be stitched using Microsoft ICE. I did this twice, with the main lamp on behind me, at ½ of a second, and again with that lamp turned off, at 2 seconds, both at ISO 100, and used the HDR feature in Zoner Photo Studio to combine them.

I was hoping to get the Magic Eye tube on the radio to show up better than it did; that was my primary motive for going the HDR route. That's that little green glowing thing just right of the dial, above the Motorola logo. For good measure, I'm including a close-up, enhanced image of just the Magic Eye, following the main picture. That's a nifty feature that I gather was common on higher-end radios in the 1950s, to help you tune in the station. The pattern and intensity of the light from it varies, according to how strong the station is and how well you have it tuned in.

ZSC_6133-6134_6138-6139__6135-6135_6140-6141_stitch_hdr4000x3000.jpg

ZSC_6136_MagicEye.jpg

EXIF data are in the attached file ZSC_6133-6134_6138-6139__6135-6135_6140-6141_stitch_hdr.EXIF.txt

Attachments

• ZSC_6133-6134_6138-6139__6135-6135_6140-6141_stitch_hdr.EXIF.txt
    9.4 KB · Views: 31
Last edited: