Weekly Challenge Feb 4 - Feb 11: "Stop Action"

wornish

Stop the drops.

stop-the-drops.jpg

ptcasper

OK so I was hiking in the Everglades this past week and I came across 24 alligators sunbathing in one spot. I walked towards the water and there was one single alligator swimming, and it was around dinnertime so I assumed he was looking for food. Followed it for about 10-15 minutes... turned away for a second and I heard a big splash to where I whipped around and saw this....

PTC_3132.jpg

Unbeknownst to me, turtles do scream, and it is quite horrifying. HOWEVER. The gator was unable to get through this turtle's shell and let it go after some uncomfortable chomping sounds. Now if that stupid mangrove tree was hanging so low...

Bob Blaylock

I wasn't happy to see this topic come up. Alas, it's beginning to feel too much like an overused cliché, using my flash to catch splashes of water. I didn't figure I was going to try to come up with anything for yet another exercise in stopping motion.

So, it's a gloomy, rainy day, and I'm looking out my window, seeing drops falling from the edge of a parking space cover outside, and decided to see what I could catch. I mount my ancient 50mm ƒ/1.4 non-AI Nikkor to my D3200, and go outside.

Out of over two hundred and fifty shots, I got this one, that I found worthwhile, of an interesting formation of falling drops, with the background refracted therein.

No flash, just my shutter at its top speed, 1/4000 of a second. The lens was probably wide open at ƒ/1.4, though I cannot now say for sure, as I took some pictures at different settings, and since this is an ancient, non-CPU lens, the aperture setting is not stored among the EXIF data.

CSC_7258n.jpg

Last edited:

carguy

Shot this yesterday - caught the puck pushing the back of the net out. Little Mites played to a 7-7 tie :)

Attachments

• 16288814007_28f0dc35d9_z.jpg
    16288814007_28f0dc35d9_z.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 135

carguy

I wasn't happy to see this topic come up. Alas, it's beginning to feel too much like an overused cliché, using my flash to catch splashes of water. I didn't figure I was going to try to come up with anything for yet another exercise in stopping motion.

So, it's a gloomy, rainy day, and I'm looking out my window, seeing drops falling from the edge of a parking space cover outside, and decided to see what I could catch. I mount my ancient 50mm ƒ/1.4 non-AI Nikkor to my D3200, and go outside.

Out of over two hundred and fifty shots, I got this one, that I found worthwhile, of an interesting formation of falling drops, with the background refracted therein.

I do like how you can see the scene in the larger droplet on the bottom. Cool.

Bob Blaylock

I do like how you can see the scene in the larger droplet on the bottom. Cool.

If you look carefully, you can see it in all but the few smallest drops. It's an interesting characteristic of water drops, that I discovered by accident roughly a year ago. Position the camera right, with respect to them and some background scene, and you get that background scene refracted in the drop.

See also: http://nikonites.com/general-photog...took-2014-ready-go-post398443.html#post398443

Eyelight

Shoot and Submit Period is over for this challenge. (has been for a couple hours).

Liking will continue for a little less than 22 hours.