Weekly Challenge Aug 5 - Aug 12: "In the Air"

Challenge Coutdown

• This is a trial. The shoot and submit period will start 8 days before the date at the same time as

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • I like the countdown timer.

Votes: 5 41.7%
  • I don't like the coutdown timer.

Votes: 3 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
in-the-air.jpg

Bourbon Neat

Looks like air brakes to me.

172652d1438518163-weekly-challenge-aug-5-aug-12-air-140702_dsc_0064_960.jpg
ModelNIKON D3200
Capture Date2014:07:02 20:57:36
Shutter Speed1/60
Aperturef/9.0
ISO400
Exposure Comp.-1.00EV
Focal length180.00mm
Lens55.0-200.0 mm f/4.0-5.6
" alt="Click image for larger version. Name: 140702_DSC_0064_960.jpg Views: 218 Size: 293.8 KB ID: 172652" class="size_medium" border="0">

Eyelight

Looks like air brakes to me.

172652d1438518163-weekly-challenge-aug-5-aug-12-air-140702_dsc_0064_960.jpg
ModelNIKON D3200
Capture Date2014:07:02 20:57:36
Shutter Speed1/60
Aperturef/9.0
ISO400
Exposure Comp.-1.00EV
Focal length180.00mm
Lens55.0-200.0 mm f/4.0-5.6
" alt="Click image for larger version. Name: 140702_DSC_0064_960.jpg Views: 218 Size: 293.8 KB ID: 172652" class="size_medium" border="0">

It was educational the first time I captured one in flight and saw the way the body hangs.

Bob Blaylock

Solid digestive waste!!!

I went to a great deal of trouble to produce an entry for this challenge, and I thought I had plenty of time left, and if I understand the new system, the time expired about twenty minutes ago. I can not see any countdown timer such as the first post indicates I should see, but the attached poll is claimed to end at 05:43 my time tomorrow, and if the deadline is a day before the poll ends, the that was 05:43 my time today, and I didn't get to this thread to post until a bit over ten minutes past that time.

Having the deadline at 00:00 UTC makes sense. Having it at the currently-chosen arbitrary time makes no sense at all.

Count me as a voice very solidly against the new system, and very much in favor of again defining the deadline at 00:00 UTC and not at any other time.

Eyelight

Solid digestive waste!!!

I went to a great deal of trouble to produce an entry for this challenge, and I thought I had plenty of time left, and if I understand the new system, the time expired about twenty minutes ago. I can not see any countdown timer such as the first post indicates I should see, but the attached poll is claimed to end at 05:43 my time tomorrow, and if the deadline is a day before the poll ends, the that was 05:43 my time today, and I didn't get to this thread to post until a bit over ten minutes past that time.

Having the deadline at 00:00 UTC makes sense. Having it at the currently-chosen arbitrary time makes no sense at all.

Count me as a voice very solidly against the new system, and very much in favor of again defining the deadline at 00:00 UTC and not at any other time.

This was a trial, not so much to see if an earlier time would work. But to see if using a countdown of sorts would work. The advantage of a countdown is it could be started at anytime and everyone would know when it ended. The significant result of this would be that a challenge team member anywhere in the world could start the challenge and it could end without another challenge team member who might want to be SLEEPING, stop the challenge. The poll timer is not perfect but it serves the purpose for the trial.

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
I waited to the last day to vote on the poll (as is instructed in the poll choices) at the beginning of this, but it is closed. Ha! Anyway, count me as an "I prefer the UTC start and end time" Much easier for me as it does not change. I see the point for the Challenge Mods, having trouble stopping and starting if they are in an odd time zone where they would be sleeping or something. For me changing times to start and end from week to week taxes my pea brain. Ha!

Eyelight

I waited to the last day to vote on the poll (as is instructed in the poll choices) at the beginning of this, but it is closed. Ha! Anyway, count me as an "I prefer the UTC start and end time" Much easier for me as it does not change. I see the point for the Challenge Mods, having trouble stopping and starting if they are in an odd time zone where they would be sleeping or something. For me changing times to start and end from week to week taxes my pea brain. Ha!

This was a good trial with some good comments how it works. I think there is a way we can use a set time and shift so we can get coverage without relying on insomnia.