Weekly challenge aug 13 -20 "CARS"

dh photography

Re: Weekly challenge aug 13 -20

DSC_4815.jpg

Bob Blaylock

This is actually a recreation of a photograph I took some time ago. This time, because my wife had the car, and I had to wait for her to get home from work with it, it was dark when I took the picture, which seems to have made for a more dramatic effect than the previous picture on which this one is based.

This was taken using a late 1960s or early 1970s vintage Vivitar 85-205mm ƒ3.8 zoom lens, mounted on my D3200. I had the focal length set to about 105mm.

30-second exposure at ƒ3.8, ISO 100.

We think of our cars as tame, domesticated creatures. This picture is intended to convey a sense of a wild car, in its natural jungle habitat—a fierce predator, lying in wait, to pounce on its prey.

CSC_3069a1K.jpg

My wife says she likes the earlier picture better—something to do with focus. I had to correct her; this is a Contour, not a Focus. The Focus is the model that Ford came out with to succeed the Contour, after they discontinued the Contour.

Last edited:

Bob Blaylock

we have narrowed your search to abandoned cars. Lol

If I were looking for something to combine the “abandoned” and “cars” themes, I know just the place. There's a field not far from where I live, filled with old, rusting Edsels. You can see a panorama that I previously took there at https://www.flickr.com/photos/bob_blaylock/13416593825/. A caretaker told me that those Edsels all arrived in that field in good, roadworthy condition, and once there, fell victim to neglect and vandalism, decaying into the condition in which they now are. Very tragic, in my opinion. I am given to understand that these days, an Edsel in good condition can be worth the far side of a hundred thousand dollars; so this field really represents a waste of what could have been millions of dollars worth of valuable classic cars, if they had been cared for.

On another note, one of the pictures in the OP is of an early-model Falcon. My very first car was a Falcon, albeit of a much later model. It was well past its prime when my parents gave it to me. It broke down a lot, but I could usually fix it then and there, with whatever tools I happened to have in my pockets at the time. Alas, the day came when I was unable to repair it. After several months of trying in vain to diagnose why it wouldn't run, I had to give up. The day we hauled it to the junkyard, my wife, rather irritated, said, “You wouldn't cry that much over me!” I guess there are some things that women just don't get.

Last edited:

skater

The Focus is the model that Ford came out with to succeed the Contour, after they discontinued the Contour.

As a '99 Cougar owner (built on the same platform, with the same engine and transmission options), I have to endorse this shot. Nice!

cwgrizz

Challenge Team

Not much time to get an entry for this challenge, so I just decided to submit my daily driver. :rolleyes:

jd-car-challenge.jpg

Last edited:

Mike D90

Wasn't taken with the intent of any entry. I just happened to have shot a few of my brothers restored Blazer in front of these old signs.

DSC_7270.jpg