WARNING! Black Rapid strap copies...

carguy

I looked at this adapter and can not figure out how it would work. Does the strap still have to be removed to use it when it is on the tripod?

yes, you simply unclip the strap and attach to the tripod. It takes seconds :)

I've never been a fan of camera straps and tripods used together. Just one more thing to get caught up sending the gear to the ground.

BR_FastenR-Tripod_HERO_003-01.jpg

Last edited:
yes, you simply unclip the strap and attach to the tripod. It takes seconds :)

I've never been a fan of camera straps and tripods used together. Just one more thing to get caught up sending the gear to the ground.

BR_FastenR-Tripod_HERO_003-01.jpg

I am a fan though in several instances when I use them because I leave the strap around my neck so when the tripod falls the strap catches it before it hits the ground. I tend to be outdoors around waterfalls in some precarious places when I m using the tripod though so for me the strap is a safety thing. If I am on solid ground I do have to be more careful and make sure the strap is either removed or wrapped around the tripod in a way that it is not dangling so it could get caught and cause the tripod and camera to fall.

Blade Canyon

Most of the time I have a hand on my camera no matter what lens is on because I don't like it bouncing against my leg all the time ...

With the original Black Rapid strap, I thread my belt over the rear part of the strap and lock it down behind the belt loop at 3 o'clock on my waist. The camera can still slide right up the strap when I'm shooting, but it prevents a lot of swinging around when the camera is hanging on the strap.

With the original Black Rapid strap, I thread my belt over the rear part of the strap and lock it down behind the belt loop at 3 o'clock on my waist. The camera can still slide right up the strap when I'm shooting, but it prevents a lot of swinging around when the camera is hanging on the strap.

Interesting idea that I will try next time I strap the camera on

gav329

When I bought it I didn't have £1000 plus camera equipment, I had less than £500 and in the end seldom used the strap. At that stage seemed excessive to spend 20% of the cost of my gear on a strap. When it broke it had very light equipment which cost me nothing and it didn't fall anywhere which was fortunate.

Now that I have heavier more expensive gear there is no way I'd risk it, hence the rest of this thread talking about better strap options.

I agree it was a mistake to buy that strap, one that I wouldn't want others to make, that's why I posted this.

Hey I get what you mean and glad your equipment was ok. I had a D200 bought it for £270 a few years ago but bought for £50 a black rapid. I just didn't want to take the risk that was all. Take care and enjoy your camera.

Elliot87

Picked up the Joby Sling strap today and my first impressions are good. Still getting used to the way it adjusts in length but seems like a useful feature. My only concern is that the strap material might not be the most comfortable and could rub on a long hike but time will tell.
I may also purchase this hand strap and tripod plate to give me maximum versatility. Joby UltraFit Hand Strap with UltraPlate: Amazon.co.uk: Camera & Photo
Now I'm just waiting for my tripod to arrive, my gimbal head got delivered to a neighbour but he has seemingly gone out and isn't answering the door so I can get my hands on that yet.

Bill4282

Considered blk rapid but don't trust screw systems - what screws in can also unscrew. I made a harness using camera strap with both ends connected to carabiner which connects to split ring run thru one lug.

SgtUSMC, Viet Vet (in country), AmLegion, VFW, LifeNRA, DAV

carguy

Considered blk rapid but don't trust screw systems - what screws in can also unscrew. I made a harness using camera strap with both ends connected to carabiner which connects to split ring run thru one lug.
I check my connections very frequently, I've never found it to be loose. Ever.

Bill4282

I'm just a belts and suspenders kinda guy. Had too many things fail on me, not just photography stuff. Glad you've not had any bad experiences.

SgtUSMC, Viet Vet (in country), AmLegion, VFW, LifeNRA, DAV

Blade Canyon

I just ordered the Joby Ultra-Fit from Amazon. The videos look like it's a lot easier to adjust on the fly than the Black Rapid original. This weekend I was wearing the BR for three hours with a D800 and 24-70 2.8, and the Black Rapid was slowly getting longer, as if the clips were not holding the strap to the original adjustment. Also, the shoulder pad kept creeping forward across my chest. This Joby looks like it will stay put, especially with that locking clip at the camera base.

Thanks for the tip!

Horoscope Fish

I just ordered the Joby Ultra-Fit from Amazon. The videos look like it's a lot easier to adjust on the fly than the Black Rapid original. This weekend I was wearing the BR for three hours with a D800 and 24-70 2.8, and the Black Rapid was slowly getting longer, as if the clips were not holding the strap to the original adjustment. Also, the shoulder pad kept creeping forward across my chest. This Joby looks like it will stay put, especially with that locking clip at the camera base.
That's my current strap and being able to adjust it on-the-fly like you can is what sets it apart. After a few minutes of practice with it, you'll be an expert. Further, the clip will absolutely prevent "strap creep" before it begins but it's also easy to reach so you can deploy some slack quickly.

Elliot87

That's my current strap and being able to adjust it on-the-fly like you can is what sets it apart. After a few minutes of practice with it, you'll be an expert. Further, the clip will absolutely prevent "strap creep" before it begins but it's also easy to reach so you can deploy some slack quickly.

I picked up a Joby strap on Saturday and at first couldn't get the hand of adjusting it but you're right, after a few minutes practice it becomes simple. Without the clip there is some strap creep, at least there is with a heavy lens but the clip seems to hold it tight and even without it its easy enough to just keep on re adjusting it.
So far I'm very happy with it.

Blacktop

As I'm in need of a strap, how does this work with a heavy lens mounted on the tripod collar. Do you think it would rub my shoulders much on a longer walk?

Horoscope Fish

As I'm in need of a strap, how does this work with a heavy lens mounted on the tripod collar. Do you think it would rub my shoulders much on a longer walk?
If you're talking about your D750 with your 200-500mm on a collar and a full day of hiking let's be honest... We're talking extremes now. The Joby would be up to the task but in all honesty, while the Joby has a little elasticity which helps absorb minor shocks while walking, it's not as padded as some straps I've owned nor does it have a wide shoulder pad to help distribute the weight like some of the BR straps do. I can carry my D750 w/battery grip and my Tammy 70-200mm (6 pounds of gear) on the Joby all day and not be any worse for wear, but that's me. The Joby doesn't shift around if you adjust it correctly but it's a narrow-ish strap so sometimes I'm more aware of it's presence on my shoulder than I'd like. That's a bit of nit-pick and I do love the Joby but the bottom line is it's a basic sling-strap with a really spiffy slide mechanism... And that may not be enough for everyone.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod

You might want to look into some of the holsters out there--if there is one large enough for your lens and camera. They fasten around your waist/hips usually on a padded belt. I have a Think Tank padded holster for my 70-200mm lens mounted to a body. It is a tight fit for the lens/body, and if I had it to do over again, I should have looked at all holster options...not just Think Tank. However, they tend to be more comfortable to carry the heavier things.

gizmo285

Rapid strap sells a safety strap you can attach to the camera and strap in case the screw comes out of the bottom. I have used mine for about a year with safety strap and it performs excellent.IMAG1328.jpgIMAG1327.jpg

RocketCowboy

Rapid strap sells a safety strap you can attach to the camera and strap in case the screw comes out of the bottom. I have used mine for about a year with safety strap and it performs excellent.

I use the tether strap with mine Black Rapids as well. It almost makes a nice hand strap too.