Walk around lens decision

Danno

I use an 18-250 Sigma lens for a walk around. It works well. For a long time it lived on my D3200. I still use it on my D7200 as well It is handy to have that versatility when I go for a walk, but I do not use it as exclusively as I did. Now I use more of an assortment depending on where I am going. I like the additional range. The 18-300 was not available when I bought mine.

Horoscope Fish

Do you really need 100mm+ while walking around? I find the kit 18-55 excellent walk around lens. Unless you are walking in wide open country and shoot across a field, there is very little to shoot in urban situations that requires a long lens. I have walked around with 18-55, 70-300 and 35mm, and barring a few occasions the 35mm prime sufficed.
I walk around in urban areas +90% of the time using a 70-200mm f/2.8 and with fairly decent results, I'd say. The zoom renders excellent compression, allows me to better control depth of field, aids in composition and eliminates the need to do heavy crops in post much of the time. When I shot DX primarily, my go-to walk-about lens was 50-150mm f/2.8 that served me just as well as my 70-200mm does on my current full-frame body.

Saying, "there is very little to shoot in urban situations that requires a long lens", is ludicrous.

Woodyg3

Contributor
FWIW I have the Nikkor 18-300mm f/3.5-5.6 and have a love/hate relationship with it. It can be pretty sharp at some focal lengths/apertures, but pretty soft at others.