Very happy with NX Studio but might like to try stitching a panorama.

desmobob

I try to keep the post processing on my photos to a minimum and I'm very happy with the capabilities of Nikon's NX Studio. But there are times when I'd like to try stitching together a panorama or stacking images for a time-lapse.

Are there safe, stable, dependable programs (preferably free!) that you prefer to do these kinds of things? What would you say are the most popular?

Edit to add: Mac OS BigSur, MacBook Pro

Thanks for any tips,
Bob

Last edited:

nikonbill

Contributor
Hi desmobob,

I have darktable on my PC and play with it some, its very capable and very searchable for help on how to do things. I would rate the learning curve somewhat high this is the free side I have read with Darktable/Gimp add on you can stitch for free (I have not tried that).

What I really wanted to offer you is to take a look at Affinity Photo, the current price is still very low and is not a subscription (54.99 windows or Mac). I also use NX studio and like it as well, Affinity works more like photo shop (on point with the advanced items NX does not do). They have a great library of video tutorials from them and users, I have even used some photo shop tutorials with much success. Affinity offers free updates for the life of the software, this will help when new cameras come out and new RAW file types come.

To your question I used only Affinity to stitch the 5 handheld photos together for the resent "panoramic" weekly challenge. I think it did a great job. When you do a panoramic stitch you wind up with a "wave" top and bottom edge, instead of cropping the shot to eliminate that I used a web learned set of steps to allow Affinity to "fill" in those areas the best it could.

Affinity does among many other things - panoramic - focus stacking - layers - watermarking - astrophotography stacks - use of user made macros - for a reasonable price. There is no "cataloging" I use NX for that and then open what I want to in Affinity.

It takes learning but very worthwhile, they have a free trial so you can see what you think (I am not affiliated in any way with them). No harder than adjusting a desmodromic rocker arm (hope they do not scare you :) , I'm just a fellow bike nut).

Bob Blaylock

desmobob

Bob,

Thanks very much for your recommendation. I have to apologize in that your response showed me that I neglected to mention my operating system (Mac OS BigSur). I edited my original post to reflect it. I'm embarrassed that you so kindly took the time to help me and my lack of completeness in my question caused you to waste your time. Please forgive me...

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Bob,

Thanks very much for your recommendation. I have to apologize in that your response showed me that I neglected to mention my operating system (Mac OS BigSur). I edited my original post to reflect it. I'm embarrassed that you so kindly took the time to help me and my lack of completeness in my question caused you to waste your time. Please forgive me...

I use MS ICE and it works great!

I did a search on
ms ice for Mac and here are the results
https://search.yahoo.com/search?ei=UTF-8&fr=crmas_sfp&p=ms+ice+for+mac+download

desmobob

I use MS ICE and it works great!

I did a search on
ms ice for Mac and here are the results
https://search.yahoo.com/search?ei=UTF-8&fr=crmas_sfp&p=ms+ice+for+mac+download

When Bob recommended it, I went to the ICE website and read as far as this:
Image Composite Editor works with 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows Vista SP2, Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 8.1.

Not to mention that at the top of the page, the first words were: Note: This project is retired and no longer supported

I also got the impression that, as a computer klutz, the program might be a bit challenging for me. That said, I also remembered that I have a Windows notebook in the house...

Marilynne

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Image Composite Editor works with 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows Vista SP2, Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 8.1.

Not to mention that at the top of the page, the first words were: Note: This project is retired and no longer supported

I also got the impression that, as a computer klutz, the program might be a bit challenging for me. That said, I also remembered that I have a Windows notebook in the house...

It has been retired, but Ivan was able to download from a different site, not MS.

You pick the shots you want to stitch, and it does all the work for you. Not hard at all!!

bluzman

Extremely easy to use. I recommend it for your Windows machine.

ryan20fun

I have used Hugin and quite liked it.

I have not used it recently, but IIRC you can just feed it the images to process without drilling down into the nitty gritty details of how to do that.