Using the Nik Collection

Deezey

Nik is part of my work flow. The DFine 2 program does a pretty good job. And the Silver Efex Pro is my go to B&W converter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fortkentdad

I just finished setting up NIK Collections so it works with GIMP (It can be called up from GIMP). So far it seems to be working ok. Probably more to come as I play some more.

One of these days I'm going to invest the time to learn to GIMP - loaded it in the past but never put in the time to learn it.
How do you like it?

cwgrizz

Challenge Team
One of these days I'm going to invest the time to learn to GIMP - loaded it in the past but never put in the time to learn it.
How do you like it?

1st: It's free and I like free. Ha! It does take some learning, but there are youtube videos out there to help guide you.
2nd: I have been able to do quite a bit with it, but I cannot compare it to any of the paid stuff because I don't have any.
3rd: Layers and Layer masks/filters do some great things once you learn what it is all about.

Well, let's just say that I like it and use it to do something on almost every photo I post on line if nothing more than to resize and add copyright.

Vixen

Help needed.....

At some time, I figure from PSCC updates, my NIK software no longer works.
I have reinstalled it. I have copied files to whatever folders I copied them to before...it won't work. It is visible in PS but when I click on it nothing happens.

I find as I get older, these things seem to get harder to figure out :(

sonicbuffalo_RIP

Help needed.....

I have reinstalled it. I have copied files to whatever folders I copied them to before...it won't work. It is visible in PS but when I click on it nothing happens.

Are you trying to edit previously Nik edited files, or are you just trying to get into Nik Tools totally?

sonicbuffalo_RIP

Help needed.....

Mine needed updated....I updated and reinstalled Nik and it is running great now!

Vixen

Mine needed updated....I updated and reinstalled Nik and it is running great now!

I'll go check on updates. I'm pretty sure I updated when I couldn't get it to work, but it's been a while.... I spent hours trying to get it to work, reinstalling etc and eventually threw my hands up and gave in...and haven't been back to it

OK...the Nik website does say compatible with PS up to CC2015...so maybe that's the problem

Last edited:

Vixen

Could someone maybe please tell me where in PSCC 2017 all the files for Nik go? So I can check that I have them in the right place

Last edited:
Could someone maybe please tell me where in PSCC 2017 all the files for Nik go? So I can check that I have them in the right place

I recently built a new computer. All I did was to install Adobe CC and then install Nik and it told me what applications I had t\hat were comparable and it loaded them for use there. My files are in programData, Appdata and program files. So spread out. you will need to let it put the files where they are needed. I suggest you delete Nik and reinstalled it

Horoscope Fish

I'll go check on updates. I'm pretty sure I updated when I couldn't get it to work, but it's been a while.... I spent hours trying to get it to work, reinstalling etc and eventually threw my hands up and gave in...and haven't been back to it

OK...the Nik website does say compatible with PS up to CC2015...so maybe that's the problem
I'm using Photoshop CC 2017 and I'm having no trouble with NIK.

Ruling out the obvious, when you open a file in PS, you go to Filter, choose NIK and then apply your filter from, say, Analog Pro. But you say you're not seeing the filter being applied to your image. No change even if you click on the "Compare" button at the top of your screen? Like I said, we need to rule out the obvious.

Vixen

I'm using Photoshop CC 2017 and I'm having no trouble with NIK.

Ruling out the obvious, when you open a file in PS, you go to Filter, choose NIK and then apply your filter from, say, Analog Pro. But you say you're not seeing the filter being applied to your image. No change even if you click on the "Compare" button at the top of your screen? Like I said, we need to rule out the obvious.

I made the test shot particularly hideous so no chance of NOT seeing the changes. Interestingly, I tried a single shot in HDREfex and that worked.

I can see the effect applied in the Nik program but when I click on OK to apply the change....nothing. Normally it goes back to PS with a progress bar as the filter is being applied. THAT is not happening

LouCioccio

NIK works with Affinity Photo.

LDC_3994w.jpg

J-see

I use the main 3 (color/silver/analog) as standalone versions and load the images as additional layers into Affinity. That way I have more control over any fine adjustments than the control points allow me.

Not everything of Niktools works in Affinity (or standalone) but luckily the important parts do. I've grown to like the program.

J-see

When you close and reload the image in PS, has it the changes applied to it?

Also keep in mind that Nik is end-of-life and, in time, will run into more and more issues until it will no longer be usable (with newer soft or OS).

Last edited:

tea2085

I have been trying to use viveza. Very powerful tool!!When I watch videos on it, they show the ""area of influence" as a circular area. when I do it, it shows a rectangular area that disappears as soon you let up on the Left click of the mouse. Then when I go to the slide options, I don't get a (we'll say ) red increase or decrease but another sizable rectangle that quickly disappears as well. Getting very frustrated-what am I doing wrong? Paul

Fortkentdad

Before Niking
SM before DSC_5308 -2.jpg

After Niking (NIK HDR2 and some other adjustments in Corel Paintshop Pro)
SM HDR Niked Trike riding DSC_5308 -1.jpg

It is so sad Google decided NIK was not worth supporting