Used, Long Range Lenses for D5200

RobHD

I use a sigma 70-300 APO on my d5300 worked on the d5200 as well , not the worlds best but does for me at the moment , I am looking for better but will wait a bit , they go for Bout £80-£100 used in the U.K.

Bikerbrent

@NostraHistoria I just saw this link in another thread. It was posted by @Scott Murray. It was for a 5300 but the compatibility is the same for the 5200. It lists every telephoto that will work with a new price. Might be worth checking out and reading reviews.

Telephoto Zoom Lenses for Nikon D5300

Unfortunately this table has some real problems. For example, the first lens they list is the Nikon 70-300mm f4-5.6G but if you look at the specifications, you will see "AF Motor Type Screw drive from camera" which will NOT autofocus on the D5300. The same issue applies to the Nikon AF 80-200mm f2.8D ED. Yet the table claims both of these lenses will autofocus on the D5300 which is plan bad information and would make me take the entire table with a heavy dose of salt.

Finally, the table lists the Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM C but the price listed is for the SPORT model and the link takes you to the SPORT model. The correct designation would be Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM / C for Nikon and the Amazon price is $989.00. The table does not actually list the Contemporary version of this lens.

Woodyg3

Contributor
The Nikon 70-300 G is not a good lens. Period. There, I said it. :) I would not pay $10 for it, let alone the OP's $100 price limit.

The VR versions of the 70-300 are much better. All get a little soft at the long end, but I know I have, overall, been happy with mine for many years. Of course, you'll pay well over $100 for this.

I wish I could come up with a $100 solution for you, OP, but I'm not sure one exists.

mikew_RIP

I would buy the Nikon 55-300 over the cheaper Nikon 70-300s ,cant say it better than Woody about them,the 70-300 VR would be my first choice funds permitting.

From the 55-300 on a V2

17837988983_26c6c814e9_o.jpg

Horoscope Fish

Can you all tell me if I need AFS or AF lenses? I switched from Canon recently. I am still learning about Nikon.
AF, in Nikon lingo, means the lens will autofocus on camera bodies that have an auto-focus motor, but these lenses will not auto-focus on camera bodies that do not have an auto-focus motor.

AF-S, on the other hand, means the lens includes Nikon's Silent Wave motor IN the lens itself and so will auto-focus on all Nikon bodies. I believe ALL modern Canon lenses have their own auto-focus motor, correct? So you don't need to worry about this distinction; with Nikon lenses/bodies you very much DO need to pay attention to this. If in doubt, just come here and ask.

This handy article will help you make sense of Nikon abbreviations: Nikon Lens Nomenclature

NostraHistoria

Thank you all for your help. I am looking at all of these lenses. Some sites they will work on my D5200 and others say they will not. Can you all confirm?

Tamron
70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di LD Macro Autofocus Lens for Nikon AF
[h=1]Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR Autofocus Telephoto Zoom Lens[/h][h=2]Nikon Nikkor AF-S 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR[/h]
[h=2]Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG Macro Nikon F[/h]
Nikon Nikkor AF-S VR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED

[h=2]Nikon Nikkor AF-S DX 18-300mm f/3.5-6.3G ED VR[/h]

Horoscope Fish

If you are using a lens designed for a FX body, multiply the focal length by 1.5 to find out what it will be on your DX body.
Focal length is focal length regardless of what body you put a lens on. The crop factor stems from the sensor size, not the lens. A DX sensor is 2/3rds the size of an FX sensor so the field of view is equivalent to 1.5x. A DX lens is one that has a big enough image circle for a DX sensor but not for FX, this is why DX lenses can be made smaller and cheaper.

Nikon DX vs FX

NostraHistoria

Thanks. I bought the Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR SWM HRI Camera Lens. I could have bought the 70-300 by Nikon, but I was too late. Someone bought before I could.

NostraHistoria

It is too much for me. I found the 70-300 for about $165 plus shipping on Adorama. I thought I would get it, but I waited too long. It was sold the next morning. It does not matter that much, though. I will only use it a few times within a span of a few years.

robbins.photo

My suggestion would be to look for a Tamron 70-300mm VC used. I doubt you'll find one in the $100 range but you should be able to find one in say the $150-$200 price range. It's an exceptional lens for the price.