Urban Decay Urbexing.

E-Niko

This photo was taken in one of the abandoned buildings at Letchworth Village in Thiells NY.
I have been doing a lot of work recently with Flash and learning new ways to use it in my everyday photography and this urban decay environment provided me with lots of opportunities to be creative.
Thoughts are highly welcome.

TIA,
Ian W.
648.jpg

WayneF

Well, not faulting the black which may have been be a creative effort, but regarding use of flash, if you did want to fill in the background blackness more, you could bounce the flash, either on the ceiling, or maybe better, on the left wall (the unseen background, and both ceiling and wall are unseen to me, so just talking generally).

BackdoorArts

Like Wayne I can understand the desire to use the black, but for an urbex shot I'd want something more concentrated. There's lot of stuff falling off around and on that fire box and I suspect you could have concentrated more on that - if only to contrast what appears to be fresh paint in the middle of tone of peel.

E-Niko

Well, not faulting the black which may have been be a creative effort, but regarding use of flash, if you did want to fill in the background blackness more, you could bounce the flash, either on the ceiling, or maybe better, on the left wall (the unseen background, and both ceiling and wall are unseen to me, so just talking generally).

Hey Wayne, thanks for the comment :)
I agree, bouncing flash would have gave me more backroad fill/exposure and actually in Lightroom I could have brought the EV stops up a few and the background actually came in a lot more than expected, a little noisy do to the lack of light but the way the image was shot I chose to leave the background "mysterious" and "eerie"

I'm a sucker for black and white so I also agree with not faulting it with the color effect, but the wall was so neutral anyway it almost looked like a selective colored image unedited, so I just chose to fully remove the soft creme color of the wall.

thank you for your feedback, I appreciate it very much.

E-Niko

Like Wayne I can understand the desire to use the black, but for an urbex shot I'd want something more concentrated. There's lot of stuff falling off around and on that fire box and I suspect you could have concentrated more on that - if only to contrast what appears to be fresh paint in the middle of tone of peel.

Hey BDH,
Thats a very good point, I find that Urban decay has so much to offer visually that there're infinite options for a creative shot, I like the points you made and I will think about that next time I'm out, thanks for commenting :)

I chose the focus subject to be the Fire box because when I rounded the corner it jumped out at me because it's so "fresh painted" like you said, so I chose that as my subject at that moment :)