Forums
New posts
Search forums
What's new
New posts
New media
New media comments
New profile posts
Latest activity
Media
New media
New comments
Search media
Members
Current visitors
New profile posts
Search profile posts
Log in
Register
What's new
Search
Search
Search titles only
By:
New posts
Search forums
Menu
Log in
Register
Install the app
Install
Forums
Mirrorless Z
Z6/Z6ii/Z6iii
Upgrade to Nikon Z6 111 + Nikkor Z180-600V f5.6-6.3 VR lens + Z 1.4 teleconverter ?
JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an
alternative browser
.
Reply to thread
Message
<blockquote data-quote="Clovishound" data-source="post: 848210" data-attributes="member: 50197"><p>I have the 180-600 mounted on a Z8. I've never used the Z6iii, but assume the AF works similarly. I love the 180-600. It replaced the 200-500 with an FTZ mount. The sharpness wasn't a huge upgrade, but I really love the internal zoom, and the lack of an FTZ adapter. I also have never used the 1.4 teleconverter, but read that quality is acceptable. Most say the 2.0 is not a great idea for this lens. </p><p></p><p>Something to consider: The 6iii runs $2200, and the Z8 is currently $3600. The 1.4 is almost $600. The Z8 has a 46MP sensor, so you can crop in post at around the same amount as the amount of extra magnification of the 1.4 teleconverter and end up with the same size file. So, for an extra $800 you get a full stop extra, probably faster, more accurate AF (because of the extra stop). As a bonus the Z8 has a fully stacked sensor, as opposed to the semi stacked on the 6iii. I haven't researched it, but there may be other features available on the Z8 as opposed to the Z6ii. Just something to think about. </p><p></p><p>I can "crop without fear" on my Z8, and when I don't need the extra reach afforded by cropping, I have a much higher resolution file to work with. Don't get me wrong, 24MP is plenty for most applications, but 46 MP really helps for large printing and heavy cropping.</p><p></p><p>Here are two edits of the same file. The first is minimal editing with NO cropping: I have cropped tighter than this with good results, but this was the first one I could easily find. </p><p></p><p>[ATTACH=full]431717[/ATTACH]</p><p></p><p>And here is a heavy crop:</p><p></p><p></p><p>[ATTACH=full]431718[/ATTACH]</p></blockquote><p></p>
[QUOTE="Clovishound, post: 848210, member: 50197"] I have the 180-600 mounted on a Z8. I've never used the Z6iii, but assume the AF works similarly. I love the 180-600. It replaced the 200-500 with an FTZ mount. The sharpness wasn't a huge upgrade, but I really love the internal zoom, and the lack of an FTZ adapter. I also have never used the 1.4 teleconverter, but read that quality is acceptable. Most say the 2.0 is not a great idea for this lens. Something to consider: The 6iii runs $2200, and the Z8 is currently $3600. The 1.4 is almost $600. The Z8 has a 46MP sensor, so you can crop in post at around the same amount as the amount of extra magnification of the 1.4 teleconverter and end up with the same size file. So, for an extra $800 you get a full stop extra, probably faster, more accurate AF (because of the extra stop). As a bonus the Z8 has a fully stacked sensor, as opposed to the semi stacked on the 6iii. I haven't researched it, but there may be other features available on the Z8 as opposed to the Z6ii. Just something to think about. I can "crop without fear" on my Z8, and when I don't need the extra reach afforded by cropping, I have a much higher resolution file to work with. Don't get me wrong, 24MP is plenty for most applications, but 46 MP really helps for large printing and heavy cropping. Here are two edits of the same file. The first is minimal editing with NO cropping: I have cropped tighter than this with good results, but this was the first one I could easily find. [ATTACH type="full"]431717[/ATTACH] And here is a heavy crop: [ATTACH type="full"]431718[/ATTACH] [/QUOTE]
Verification
Post reply
Forums
Mirrorless Z
Z6/Z6ii/Z6iii
Upgrade to Nikon Z6 111 + Nikkor Z180-600V f5.6-6.3 VR lens + Z 1.4 teleconverter ?
Top