Upgrade? D7000 from D3100

Marko

I have the d3100 and d5100 and the biggest improvement to my photography came from attending a number of dslr photography courses. I've invested less in the four classes I've done than what my 35mm lens cost and it's improved every shot I take with either camera.

I only bought the d5100 for the tethered shooting and articulated screen for my astrophotography

Horoscope Fish

Re: Upgrade? D7000 from D3100
14.8 to 16.9...I seriously don't think he would notice the difference in image quality...
Let's go somewhere where the details of how they determine image quality is actually explained and by a place with a decent reputation for dealing with optics in general:

DXO Mark Sensor Scores:

D3100
Overall Score: 67
Landscape (Based on Dynamic Range): 11.3 EV
Portrait Score (Based on Color Depth): 22.5 Bits

D7000:
Overall Score: 80
Landscape (Based on Dynamic Range): 13.9 EV
Portrait Score (Based on Color Depth): 23.5 Bits

Two-and-a-half stops of DR and one full bit of color definition? I'm all up for that.

These are just some of the very good reasons the D3100 is a $300 body while the D7000 about two-and-a-half times that.

TL Smith

Thanks for all the advice and commentary - it helped a lot. I'm going to spend a few bucks more and upgrade to the D7100 and justify the expense by shooting like crazy and learning all I can. (Selling the 3100 will help recoup some of the cost.)
I'm really excited to go pick it up over Labor Day...then I'll have a few days off work to play with it.

TL Smith

I picked up the D7100 and the extra SD card. Went to the Scottish Games with family and took 450 photos. LOVE the camera, the shots are terrific, I'm so pleased. Tonight while sorting and editing, made a black n white folder, etc. somehow iPhoto "unexpectedly" quit and all my photos were deleted. I was freaking out..how am I going to tell my sister I just lost her son photos? Then I remembered the D7100 has that extra SD Slot Two..and I had set it (thank God) to be the backup. I won't be kicked out of the family, and I'm sure I could use the extra time all over again to toss out the blurry images and sort thru them again. That second SD card wasn't the reason I upgraded, but it sure saved me a ton of misery!

aroy

I always, save the images from the camera first, before processing them. I also leave the images on the card till I have processed the images and saved them on an external disk. May be my caution stems from being in IT for over three decades.
. Data loss occurs when you have not taken a backup.
. Data is lost at the most inopportune time.
. If uoui backup, you never loose the data.