Update to the Weekly Challenges and Monthly Assignments

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Moving forward, please note the change/addition to the Weekly/Monthly rules ... any images submitted that are created from composites, all images used must be taken by you with a Nikon body and also be taken during the dates of the challenges/assignments. Thanks for your understanding. :)

BF Hammer

Would that be a broad-enough rule to also include an AI sky-replacement? Not that I have Luminar installed on my computer anymore.

Needa

Challenge Team
My interpretation is yes, so long as the sky you are replacing it with was shot by you, with a Nikon camera within the time frame of the contest and not something from the program.

hark

Administrator
Staff member
Super Mod
Would that be a broad-enough rule to also include an AI sky-replacement? Not that I have Luminar installed on my computer anymore.
That's a good question although the subject of AI replacement hasn't yet come up. I guess it's something that should be addressed.

nikonpup

Who will be the JUDGE? All photos plus data can be changed. How about AI in software
programs?

Screenshot 2024-02-03 144656.png

A BIG CAN OF WORMS IMO.

Fred Kingston

Our interpretation at the college is AI is okay as long as all the bits and pieces are all yours. Even Ansel Adams and all the old guys back-in-the-day were dodging and burning their images heavily in the darkroom. Manipulation is nothing new.

We have a local art studio that has done several "prestigious" juried shows a year for the last few decades... They were very stringent on different categories with regard to manipulation, even requiring the original negatives, and then original RAW files... Entries in those categories dropped off to the point that they dropped the category...and even their entries for that show have dropped to a fraction of what it was...

BF Hammer

Fred I brought it up because Luminar can outright replace the sky on a photo (and it could be half of the actual photo) with a sky that exists only within the software. So the spirit of the rule being that all parts would have to originally be photographed within the time-frame of the contest period by the actual photographer taken with a Nikon camera... well an AI sky ain't really that is it?

Fred Kingston

Luminar also lets you add your own skies... On evenings when there have been spectacular sunsets, and/or days that have had particularly interesting clouds... I have taken many photos of just the horizon's and sky for my own collection... Again... It gets back to the honor system