Turkey Vulture

blackstar

2024-01-18_11-14-22(2)GsT.jpg

2024-01-18_11-20-06(2)GsrawT.png

2024-01-18_11-22-41GsT.png

blackstar

Gee Whiz. That first image is probably the best Turkey Vulture image I have seen. I never catch them anywhere but flying around.
Would you mind sharing your captured images of them flying around? I would very much like to see the flight images I missed when I saw them. Thanks

Dawg Pics

Would you mind sharing your captured images of them flying around? I would very much like to see the flight images I missed when I saw them. Thanks
I don't think I have taken any flying images that were worth keeping. Mostly, they are too far away to get a decent image. We have a lot of them around here, so I'll see if I can get a decent image of one and post it. I need to start shooting again.

I have seen at least a dozen circling around near the lake on more than one occasion.

BF Hammer

Vultures are by far the most common raptor I see flying. But they also are soaring at the highest altitude of any bird except migrating geese. Red-tail hawk is nearly as common but typically observed perched on utility poles.

The spot to photograph turkey vultures in southern Wisconsin is Lodi at the top of Gibraltar Rock. The 200 foot cliff face gives thermals they like to ride on during cool sunny days. A dozen may be soaring at or below your level. Last time I did that was over a decade ago so my old photos are archived on my NAS.

Found them, from 2011. Early gear and a lot of learning ago. 18-135mm lens on first photo and a 500mm reflex manual focus lens on the 2nd.
Gibraltar_Rock_101a.jpg
Gibraltar_Rock_107.jpg

Last edited:

Clovishound

You're right, it is a black vulture. I wasn't really thinking about the difference between the two when I posted. Both are common sights around here. These were taken at the Birds of Prey Center. I'm not that good at stalking wildlife.