Tripod Collar for the 70-200mm f/4

Geoffc

It's not just about the ISO, the 2.8 shoots pretty sharp wide open and really does isolate the subject because of the DOF. That said, it is bloody heavy. My wife gets better photos with her 70-300 VR than she does with my 70-200 2.8 because it's too heavy for her to hand hold comfortably.

Rick M

As an update I received this for Christmas:

Amazon.com: DSLRKIT Full Metal Tripod Mount Ring for Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/4G ED VR lens: Camera & Photo

It is very sturdy and the finger screw is very smooth. Mine is slightly different than pictured in the link:

IMG_0517_9330.JPG

IMG_0522_9331.JPG

BackdoorArts

I got the same one. It works fine, though I find the thumb screw to be a little cheap and am afraid the threads may strip at some point. But hey, for what it costs I can buy a couple, and I don't use it that often.

Rick M

I've noticed that you do not have to tighten very much for a solid grip. I was concerned about damaging the barrel so I guess I'm overly cautious anyway. Haven't tried it fully loaded with body and flash yet. But as you said, at that price....,

BackdoorArts

For me it's not so much on the tightening as it is on the connecting. I have to take it all the way out to slip it around the lens, and when reconnecting I find it doesn't catch very easily, and this is where I fear the leading edge of the thread might strip. Like you I don't overtighten once it's on - just snug enough.

NVSteve

As an update I received this for Christmas:It is very sturdy and the finger screw is very smooth. Mine is slightly different than pictured in the link:
Like the old school lens cap string! I have a few of those sitting around in their original packages from the 70s, although they are the stick on type.I've had a $20 collar sitting in my Ebay wishlist since I bought the lens. The thing is so wonderfully light that I have yet to be tempted with buying a collar for it, although I do use the collar on my Tamron 70-200 for low light shots.

NVSteve

I got the collar mainly for portraits, rotating the camera is easier and keeps the system centered on the tripod
I could see how that would help. All of my portrait work is more along the lines of sneaky portraiture, meaning spur of the moment rather than planned, and always of people I don't personally know. The great thing with the bigger lenses is that the majority of my sneaky subject matter will pose for me when they see the lens & camera pointed in their direction.